Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello.  Spanking new to this forum.  I'm doing minor restoration to 1996 Impreza I bought for $600 (only 90K miles!).  :)

Basically, I'm detailing/major cleaning of interior.  With much much difficulty I pulled the instrument cluster out in order to replace all the bulbs, some of which were burnt out.  This model has a nasty mechanical speedometer/odometer cable rather than a wiring harness like newer models, plus (at least in my experience) there is hardly any slack at all within which to twist & tilt the instrument cluster unit.  My wrists are all scratched up from trying, and I actually broke one of the clear plastic tabs keeping the clear lens aligned. 

Dash lights are green as usual, but the "mechless" stereo unit I installed (BOSS) has an intense blue display.  I'm changing the dash lights to blue to appear more consistent.

:wacko:  I'm replacing the instrument backlights with LEDs from http://superbrightleds.com but haven't chosen specific products (e.g. T-5s and T-10s) yet.  Figured while I have it pulled out I'd do this since once the dashboard is back in place I am not removing it again!  Dash lights are green as usual, but the "mechless" stereo unit I installed (BOSS) has an intense blue display.  I'm changing the dash lights to blue LEDs to appear more consistent.

My Problems:

:ph34r:  At night, there is absolutely no backlighting etc. for the 4-way mirror controls, and the 4 pwr window switches.  The engineers kindly added "bumps" to the driver's side door --in order to feel where the window controls are-- but it'd be so much more convenient (and safer) if those 4 switches were illumined in some fashion.  I haven't pulled the bezel (for windows switches/door latch) but I doubt they are backlit.  They didn't put in a low-fuel warning light, so why do the other useful things.

I am adding a lamp or two in order to dimly shine onto the window switch panel and onto the mirror control panel.  Like tiny spotlights, but of a low intensity as to not distract the driver.  I just want the driver to see where they are at night, rather than feeling around for a few seconds with one's left hand.  I have locations staked out for positioning these & will be installing the corresponding socket bases.

My Question:

:huh:  I think I know where I can draw power from (there is an unused, brown wiring harness next to the emergency flashers push on/off switch, apparently for an accessory never included on this particular model.  Maybe I can run a lead from that, but that presents its own issue: it has 4 contacts, instead of the convenient positive/negative.

Does any know how I can  1)properly get power to these new bulbs, and  2)connect them in such a way so they dim along with the instrument cluster lights?  BTW I'm buying dimmable LEDs.  I guess I'm looking for an electrical schematic rather than trial & error and screwing everything up.

I can't seem to get my hands on a repair manual so old, which probably would have a diagram or something I could refer to.

you need an Factory manual for your car.

i will add though that most all of the switches and accesories have small "pilot" lights most of them just burn out.  you should check the switch panel i would bet it has small lights in it that just arent working