Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does Anyone Recognize these pins from 2002 Outback MT?

I am refurbishing a 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Manual Transmission for my teenager's first car.  Part of the job was to remove and split the transmission cases to fix some leaking seals.  I reassembled the cases and found that I have two extra pins (see photo).  Some time has passed since I disassembled the transmission and I can't remember where they went.  Does anyone recognize the pins and know where they should be installed?

The first pin in a rolled spring pin about an inch long.  It's a double pin with a smaller pin inside it.

The second pin is a toothed pin similar to the pins that mount the front axels but of a different length.  This one is about 1 7/8" long.

post-69012-0-58036100-1509981616_thumb.jpg

The double pin is for the shift linkage. It's what attaches the forward joint to the shaft that comes out of the back of the transmission.

I would have guessed the second one is for a CV axle, but it sounds like you've already ruled that out. I can't think of anything else that would use that....

My first thought on the first pin (the double rolled pin) was that it went to the shifter knuckle linkage.  However, I did not take that pin out.  The finish on this pin is nice, no dirt, etc. so I am wondering if it should have gone inside the transmission where it was soaked in gear oil all these years. That is my concern and fear - that the pin goes inside the transmission somewhere.

Is anyone aware of a pin like this that would be internal to the transmission?

Is anyone aware of a pin like this that would be internal to the transmission?

Did you remove any of the shift forks from their rods?  If so I will bet that the double pin is for one of them.  Bad news.  Trans will need opened up.  Without, you will be not be able to get 2 gears, depending on which fork.

I did not remove any of the shift forks from the rods.  Is there a pin like this in the reverse idler gear?   I don't remember taking a pin out there but some of my manuals show a pin at the end of the idler gear shaft.  Otherwise I am not seeing anything obvious in the manuals.

No that's on an automatic.

I haven't had an MT apart in a while so the details are a bit fuzzy. The one I'm thinking of might actually be a bolt. Seems to me either the sector lever or the lever for the reverse checker had a pin like that, but it's not necessary to remove either of those to get the case apart. The shift rails in the case have roll pins that hold the shift forks on, but again not necessary to be removed.

The only other pins I can think of off hand would be case alignment pins/dowels on the alignment pin for the mainshaft input bearing, but those are usually solid steel dowels.