Ultimate Subaru Message Board

are loyales /gls making a comeback

I've got people lined  up waiting to buy my  Brumby   (Brat)   

(It has no rust)  but its not for sale as it was my late fathers.

and too good to give away to people who aren't prepared pay what its worth  - considering condition / 130 K miles  etc

Considering salt affected  vehicles,  the  70s and 80s   Subarus were good for rust., so not many good ones left now on the road.

ie Gen 1   and Gen 2  (Gen 3s fared better - apart from around front and rear windows in particular )

Those in a dry, low humidity climates that didn't come into contact with salt  fared better.

1st  83 GL wagon  JDM started  to surface rust along sills under doors before selling in 1995

2nd 86 GL wagon NZDM rusted around windscreen - put off the road in 2009,failed NZ 6 monthly road worthiness / compliance  test for that  - regarded as structural.   

NZ authorities take a hard line on rust affected vehicles.  Any rust around door frames  around wheel arches in subframe,  roof,  around  front / rear windows  regarded as structural will be put off the road unless welded / repaired.

Salt isn't applied to NZ roads because of the potential  damage it would cause to  the vehicle fleet.

Roads are gritted (course sand)   and  CMA (calcium magnesium acetate deicing agent) is  sprayed on /applied  in drier areas.

Have people lined up waiting to buy my 87 Brumby (Brat)   - no rust in original condition - came from one of the driest places in NZ. (Alexandra)

It's not for sale as it was my late fathers so has special value.

People aren't prepared to pay for  what its worth considering  condition / miles (130K)  anyway.

So not prepared to give it away.12565429_10201381793263478_5045514923745

Edited by subnz

I just searched for it in YouTube... just hearin' it now... its new for me.

Subarus just got into mexico 'till 2005.

We had them in the rest of Latin America way before.

Honduras got the first one in 1968.

Kind Regards.

How is the situation in Honduras these days? 

When I bought my Loyale for $500, the guy said he wanted to buy it back for the same price or more (depending on repairs I did) when he returned to Anchorage.  That became the reason I kept the car.  During my road trip south, there were so many gawkers, some of them soobie "enthusiasts" that had never seen a Loyale, and others that loved seeing this car still on the road.  When in national parks, there were no other cars like her; foreigners loved taking photos with the ol rust bucket, bison in the background. Gassing up was particularly fun - in the north, there are so many other Subarus, people gassed up next to me just to ask about the car.  I guess being weighed down with all of my belongings, having a lot of body rust, and a collapsing roof box was a good ice breaker.  We took the ferry from Hanes to Skagway --- my Loyale was by far the oldest and probably "ugliest car" on the ferry.

The cancerous rust will slowly overtake it, but at least I'll have this one for parts for the next Loyale I buy : )

post-67284-0-45523500-1512161937_thumb.jpg

• Like 1