Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing the transmission in my 78 Brat Have some questions

The transmission in my 78 Brat has gone bad. I have no idea what is wrong with it but I have a replacement transmission for it. I really am just looking for some help with finding the correct oil seals for it. Specifically the oil seals where the axles mount to the transmission and back at the shifter. The usual chronic places where our transmissions leak. Also, is there anything I can buy for the shifter bushings? Thanks.

Richard

The transmission just started making this strange grinding noise. I thought something was wrong with the left CV axle. It was going bad. I had a new replacement so, I changed it. Didn’t help at all. I put it up on jack stands so the front wheels were off the ground. I put it in first and it would not freely move the wheels without giving it a lot of gas. It vibrates really bad too. It shifts fine. Definitely not the clutch. Paul, you wouldn’t happen to know any of the part numbers for any of the oil seals I need would you?

I feel like a knucklehead - typical - but I know I saved those numbers but where they are now is beyond me. I sure will try to locate them. Pretty sure I saved the receipt from the dealer.

Lots of guys seem to have the Factory parts manuals , and maybe even some posted online.

Mine are not handy at the moment.

The transmission just started making this strange grinding noise. I thought something was wrong with the left CV axle. It was going bad. I had a new replacement so, I changed it. Didn’t help at all. I put it up on jack stands so the front wheels were off the ground. I put it in first and it would not freely move the wheels without giving it a lot of gas. It vibrates really bad too. It shifts fine. Definitely not the clutch. Paul, you wouldn’t happen to know any of the part numbers for any of the oil seals I need would you?

I have a factory parts manual in PDF form.  If you send me your email in a PM, I can try to email it to you.

For what it's worth, you can still find parts if you really scour.  I just bought a factory original, NOS 4 blade fan for my 79 BRAT.  It came out of the UK, but the parts are out there.

• 2 months later...

I'm late to the party, hopefully you have this resolved by now. I'm not much help on the axle seals, but I can tell you the shifter rail seal is actually an oring. I replaced mine a few years ago. Unfortunately the only way I could disassemble everything to replace it was to remove the transmission from the vehicle.

Paul, would you happen to know the part number for the bushing and the rubber boot?

• 4 months later...

It's been 7 months since I put this topic up. Still have not found the part numbers for the transmission. My Brat is just sitting till I can find the correct part numbers. Please! any member out there, do you have the part numbers so I can buy the parts to re-seal my transmission? Thanks.