Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Ea81 wont turn over.

Ok so I went to drain the oil to see what it was looking like and a spoob ton of water came out ! Wtf

Leave the hood up and aircleaner off in a rain storm? If not, headgasket time.

Which, honestly, you'd need to do to get more power out of it either way.

And just so you know, these engines are stupid simple and can make better power with a cam change and a little tweaking.

Look at the thread I linked further up. That's my build, and after it was all said and done, I was probably no more than $800 in, with the extensive machine work and replacement parts.

Twitch

Ok so I went to drain the oil to see what it was looking like and a spoob ton of water came out ! Wtf

popped a casting plug in one of the heads.  Add water, it goes out into valve covers and down into oil.

Pull the valve covers and rockers and check it out.

As for your spark. Replace the coil. And the dizzy module.

Last night my brumby stopped dead in it's tracks and wouldn't start up again.

Though it was the module so replaced that with a new one. Still no spark. Did some testing and the coil had very weak spark if lucky to get one.

Replace coil with a new one. Still no go. Finally it had to be the module, swapped it out for one I remember I had on another engine. Fired up first go and did a 120km trip loaded without a single miss or stumble.

Try the coil first then the module. It seems like the failing/weak coil took out the dizzy's module with it - twice for me :/

Cheers

Bennie

As for your spark. Replace the coil. And the dizzy module.

Last night my brumby stopped dead in it's tracks and wouldn't start up again.

Though it was the module so replaced that with a new one. Still no spark. Did some testing and the coil had very weak spark if lucky to get one.

Replace coil with a new one. Still no go. Finally it had to be the module, swapped it out for one I remember I had on another engine. Fired up first go and did a 120km trip loaded without a single miss or stumble.

Try the coil first then the module. It seems like the failing/weak coil took out the dizzy's module with it - twice for me :/

Cheers

Bennie

you put a new module in first due to wealth of experience

and not fix problem but a known good used one did?

so returning new module ?

planets must be aligned for those modules to fail around the world. mine failed a month ago. good used one fixed me too

you put a new module in first due to wealth of experience

and not fix problem but a known good used one did?

so returning new module?

Good used one fixed the issue because I replaced the coil with a new stupidcheap one. The unknown module was then fitted and everything worked. Theory is the dead coil killed the new module. Not a dead new module. But I'll be talking with my parts guy to see what can be done - worth a try and I've been buying from these guys since I was 15! Should've asked for stocks in the store back then :P

Cheers

Bennie

I have 3 ignition coils. 2 accel pro stock 8140s . Ones brand new and the other was in the 85 RX i got . Stock one that came in the gl as well . I have a fluke 16 multimeter . How do I use it to test these things? Never used one before ha