Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New KYB struts and new springs - but drivers side is 1-2" lower than passengers.

In my EA82 rear suspension (XT6), I installed two new KYB EA82 struts and two new 10" Ground Control 200 pound (i think) springs. 

The drivers side sits at least an inch, if not 2", lower than the passengers side with no significant weight in the vehicle. 

Stock spring rate is lower than 200 pounds so I don't think it would be the springs being too light?

Why would one side be lower than the other? 

Strut mounts and bits came from random EA82 struts I had available. 

Should I just have another set of EA82 top mounts and spring perches ready to install?

How many different EA82 configurations are there for mounts/spring perches?

I'd say get in there with a tape measure and check things. There are different length shock bodies, and different height spring perches for different body EA82s. Make sure you have the same shocks.

Then measure the loaded spring length to see if one is sagging more than another.

If all that is the same, then I'd take a look at the upper perch. I think one design of upper mount can be mounted upside-down easily (someone posted about it, and I tried it on my FrankenWagon, and the ones I had required quite a bit of modifying to work).

So you're saying some of the mounts/spring perches do differ between various models? Since I used random assemblies I probably mixed and matched from who knows what.

If I get a set of EA82 top mounts/spring perches to swap out - which should I get for an XT6?

Or which ones would give a "higher" strut, if that's even answerable?

Edited by idosubaru

On the 86 GL, the left side was constructed about 3/4" lower.  I have upgraded to Loyale spring/shocks, which sit a little higher than the 86 spring/shock, even though they were adjustable.  There just aren't any good 86 ones still out there.  Since I have overloaded my rear spring/shocks from time to time, resulting in a little permanent shortening of the spring.  I then keep that sprung one on the right side, and get an unsprung one for the left side and that comes real close for leveling out the rear end.

On the 86 GL, the left side was constructed about 3/4" lower.  I have upgraded to Loyale spring/shocks, which sit a little higher than the 86 spring/shock, even though they were adjustable.  There just aren't any good 86 ones still out there.  Since I have overloaded my rear spring/shocks from time to time, resulting in a little permanent shortening of the spring.  I then keep that sprung one on the right side, and get an unsprung one for the left side and that comes real close for leveling out the rear end.

Malarkey.

Left and right side are completely symetrical.  If your car has one side higher mounting point it's been wrecked and bent.

And anymore, Loyale/GL 4wd shocks are the same parts if you are buying new.

• Like 1

So you're saying some of the mounts/spring perches do differ between various models? Since I used random assemblies I probably mixed and matched from who knows what.

If I get a set of EA82 top mounts/spring perches to swap out - which should I get for an XT6?

Or which ones would give a "higher" strut, if that's even answerable?

All EA82 top hats are the same.

Shocks themselves had some variation.

Get a matched set of springs and a matched set of 4wd sedan Shocks.

Check to make sure you have full bushing new sets (2 per) correctly installed on both sides.

Chances are you have a sedan shock on the high side, and a wagon shock on the low one.  The sedan shocks give a higher ride.

2 new KYB struts and 2 new springs. 

All EA82 top hats are the same.

Shocks themselves had some variation.

Get a matched set of springs and a matched set of 4wd sedan Shocks.

Check to make sure you have full bushing new sets (2 per) correctly installed on both sides.

So if both struts are new KYB and both springs are brand new....bushings would be the issue?

2 new KYB struts and 2 new springs. 

So if both struts are new KYB and both springs are brand new....bushings would be the issue?

could be.  

Also check the mounting "tophat" orientation.  it is possible to put the tophat on upside down.

I flipped the mounts upside-down on my Loyale with one setup to lower it a bit, and I had to grind a bunch off the cup around that bushing to get it to sit right. But I don't think they all have that.

I don't think there are different height mounts, but I think some designs are easier to flip upside-down, which would cause a change in ride height.

You've said several times that you have new KYB EA82 shocks, but there are several part numbers that fit that description. Are you 100% sure they're the same length? Ditto with the springs. Mis-boxed parts happen. I'd climb under there with a tape measure and make sure the loaded length of the shock and spring are the same....that will tell you a lot.

You've said several times that you have new KYB EA82 shocks, but there are several part numbers that fit that description. Are you 100% sure they're the same length? Ditto with the springs. Mis-boxed parts happen. I'd climb under there with a tape measure and make sure the loaded length of the shock and spring are the same....that will tell you a lot.

Thanks - Ah yeah I'll measure on the vehicle, I probably would have done it on the ground. 

I ordered the same part number struts and springs new at the same time from the same place (in the past year).  But yeah - got it - i've seen different boxed stuff too.

Who knows maybe I even used some air suspension top mounts or bushings - i think some are the same on air and non-air XT's and I just have a box of stuff mixed up. 

Anyway - doesn't matter - I'll measure loaded and check for flipped top mount.