Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy front axle nut socket size ?

I need to re-face one of the front rotors on my 1999 Legacy L sedan 2.2. It appears that the front axle nut has to be removed in order to take off the rotor (I have not yet done this on my car). I don't have a big enough socket, so I will have to buy one. I measured the nut and it looks like either a 32 or 33 mm. socket. Can someone tell me what is the correct size of the socket that I will have to buy ?

I don't know of any reason why you'd need to remove the axle nut to take the rotor off. That's the 80's Subarus. All you should have to do is take the caliper off and the rotor should come right off, almost fall off.

You are correct in saying the axle nut does not need to be removed.The caliper must be removed, then the caliper mount must also be removed before the rotor will come off. Depending on how rusty it is, you might have to use the treaded holes in the rotor to push it off the hub.

You are correct in saying the axle nut does not need to be removed.The caliper must be removed, then the caliper mount must also be removed before the rotor will come off. Depending on how rusty it is, you might have to use the treaded holes in the rotor to push it off the hub.

OK. I pounded on it from the inside-out with a rubber mallet (did it this morning, but it didn't budge even a little). That's why I had thought of the axle nut. I guess I'll just have to use a bigger steel hammer and go all the way around. Thanks for the replies.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 95 Legacy that I just had to replace a stud on, and from what I found you had to remove the castle nut to pull the rotor off. I know the easiest way to do it was put the bolt from the caliper into the rotor in the space provided and crank it down and the rotor just comes off. And the size of the castle nut (nut in the center of everything) is 1 and a quarter. 1 1/4. It is pretty much universal from what i've seen with most vehicles. Hope I was of some help.

I have done the rotors on my 99 legacy and once the caliper and caliper bracket are out of the way, the rotor will come off without disturbing the axle nut. Nubs is correct in suggesting using the threaded holes to jack the rotor off the hub. I would put some penetrating oil around the center hole and then after a bit of time, put some pressure on the hub evenly with the jack screws and then if it still doesn't come, apply a bit of hammer with it under the pressure.