Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it Always Necessary to Turn the Rotors when Replacing Brake Pads?

like forester2002s said-

'There's more than one way to skin a cat.'

Can we leave it at that?

if it works, just keep doing whatever it is that works well for that situation, as for >

And I see two highiy respected persons I’m usually hoping reply to my questions!

could not agree more with this, just hope this doesn't cause comment suppression from Gloyale and GD on other future threads if one replied to a thread before the other.

Edited by Subasaurus

like forester2002s said-

if it works, just keep doing whatever it is that works well for that situation, as for >

could not agree more with this, just hope this doesn't cause comment suppression from Gloyale and GD on other future threads if one replied to a thread before the other.

Yah.......GD and I have been butting heads over different ideas of what to do when and for who etc for 10 years.

I still have a ton of respect for him, and I am in no way trying to blanket accuse him or his shop of anything improper.

We just have different philosophy about some things.  "sparring" with him on here keeps me sharp and re-thinking things all the time.  I have come to difering conclusions, but I see it as healthy too.  I hope no-one is too offended.  I NEVER mean anything personal on this forum.  Purely Subaru centric though process.

What he does for people in his shop is his business as long as he will stand by his work, which he does.

I still say if you are doing a brake job, and you are gonna do anything to the rotors (not just pad swap) I prefer to spend less money and keep known OE products.

• Like 1

Yah.......GD and I have been butting heads over different ideas of what to do when and for who etc for 10 years.

I still have a ton of respect for him, and I am in no way trying to blanket accuse him or his shop of anything improper.

i had no idea this had been going on for some time, thanks for clearing that up.

i had no idea this had been going on for some time, thanks for clearing that up.

As someone who has been here at USMB for a long time - yes, this is "normal", LOL. That said, no one typically takes things too "personally", altho there have been a couple of times when things got a little heated.

For me, personally, it is far easier & more cost effective to simply replace worn out/bad rotors. I live out in the boonies, and machine shops around here tend to be rather expensive - plus the time & cost of traveling back and forth... If the rotor is just lightly grooved, chances are I will leave it alone... deeply grooved, it will most likely get replaced.

The rotor i shared the picture of was from my 95 Legacy - the car had been somewhat abused by a teenager - tranny was shot - and then it sat for a while before we purchased it (yes, we got it cheap) Those rotors were a pretty extreme case, however, with the braking surface flaking off.

Planning ahead for DIY work is just a good idea. Ordering parts in advance makes life a lot easier once you get going on the job. the absolute nearest parts store for me is a 20 minute drive, one way... and that is a small town store, so them having what I need/want is a shot in the dark (yes, I usually call ahead to avoid wasting gas). Next nearest, larger store is a half hour, one way... so yeah.. Rock Auto, and other online retailers, get a decent share of my business as they ship my parts directly to my door - I don't have to go anywhere.

• Like 1