Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Throwing misfire #2 on 99 outback . have done everything.

throwing 402 code on my 99 ob.

so changed plug, coil and wires.

still running rough and throwing this misfire code.

anything else i can do? going to do compression check tomorrow. 

Hello, How many miles on the car?  Have you inspected the Engine Ground Straps under the car? One on each side of the engine?  How are the battery cable / post? very Clean?

Have you ever had the injectors properly / professionally cleaned?  My 06 Legacy with 99k on it have 2 injectors that were not properly working. 

Hello, How many miles on the car?  Have you inspected the Engine Ground Straps under the car? One on each side of the engine?  How are the battery cable / post? very Clean?

Have you ever had the injectors properly / professionally cleaned?  My 06 Legacy with 99k on it have 2 injectors that were not properly working. 

283k miles. have not checked the engine ground straps. will do. battery posts very clean. injectors have not been pro cleaned. 

this used to be a hwy car on a 85 mile commute daily until I retired. last 2 years just run around town 5 miles at a time. does this point to something.?

it bogs down a little from a start and then when the rpms are up , it runs fine for a bit like the number 2 is firing ok. then bogs at lower rpms.

can try some injector cleaner in gas and check those ground straps. have owned the car since 05 and never checked those. the motor was taken out for headgaskets about 100k miles ago.

283k miles. have not checked the engine ground straps. will do. battery posts very clean. injectors have not been pro cleaned. 

this used to be a hwy car on a 85 mile commute daily until I retired. last 2 years just run around town 5 miles at a time. does this point to something.?

it bogs down a little from a start and then when the rpms are up , it runs fine for a bit like the number 2 is firing ok. then bogs at lower rpms.

can try some injector cleaner in gas and check those ground straps. have owned the car since 05 and never checked those. the motor was taken out for headgaskets about 100k miles ago.

My 06 Legacy with 99k, was a northern car. My driver ground strap was held on by 1 stand...  Maybe EGR Valve is clogged shut or open.  Mine was very dirty at 99k, yours might be not working at all. The Subaru one are not expensive 

throwing 402 code .

You say "misfire" in the title - but that code is an EGR code.

Was that a typo and you meant to type "302", or it's a "402" or you have a perceived misfire and "402" or actual misfire - "302" and "402"?

1. swap fuel injectors and see if the misfire stays with cylinder #2 or moves with the fuel injector

2. check valve clearance

3. leak down or compression test like GD said

4. probably not the issue - but make sure the #2 cylinder doesn't have oil in it from the spark plug tube seals leaking

When the head gaskets were done,

I see what you did there! har har har!! Edited by idosubaru

ya. 302 not 402.

more info. no oil on spark plug boot.

will do compression test. not sure how to swap injectors. i'm just a everyman. not a subie mechanic.

oh, the plug i took out looked very good, almost perfect condition. they were changed when the T-belt was done less than 30k ago.

would this point the problem elsewhere?

Edited by roadsubiedog

update 11=29-17

I unplugged the injector and no change. so i started to plug it back in and it revved up to normal for a second and then went back to the rough idle. so i tried that several more times and the same thing happened. 

would idle fine for a second or so and then back to rough. does this point to a bad injector or a bad connection? all the ends are very clean and when i tried wiggling it with it on the rpm's did not change.

the cel went on again for 264 . low injector . that's probably because i unplugged it.

so , is a new injector next? I have replaced everything else so far, plug, wire , coil. 

or can i take injector out and clean it? or just better to replace. oh. I guess i can switch #2 an #4  as someone suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

ok switched the number 2 and 4 injectors and nothing has changed . the engine still runs crappy as before. however i did everything possible to get the cel to come on and it won't. tried going up hills and flooring it and went about 5 miles and no cel.

not sure what to do now. was hoping for misfire on number 4.

update; 12-13-17

it's working fine now by mistake. i pulled the plug out of the #4 injector ( that has the number 2 there now ) to see if there was any change and there was no change.

then when I was putting plug back on the rpm's went back to normal just like before when i tried this before the switch. when i pushed the plug all the way on it ran crappy again. so i removed plug again and when i did i moved the injector plug end from 6 o'clock to about 8 o'clock. this was by accident when i was trying to get the plug off again.

when i put the plug back on, i did not push it on all the way and now it runs fine. i took it for a test drive and it runs fine.

my guess is , is that it is the male parts on the injector  end. not sure how i can fix this but the angle of the injector end must be giving it a proper connection when it is plugged in.