Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi Carburettor Issues

subnz

I'm guessing  the reason that many have issues is because of the extra emission stuff  added to satisfy  US emissions .- hoses etc failing from heat / age.

The hitachi carb is a good carb but has been ruined by the addition of all this stuff and is destined to fail.

Had had 3 of them,   2   EA81s (still have Brat )  and  EA82 and no major issues apart from messing up a rebuild when rekitted one on an EA82  Had to buy another 2nd hand replacement one. One learns from mistakes made.

Also they don't like being messed with.  (and had one EA82 with auto choke  -  horrible)

Also they have been been ruined by the addition of automatic chokes.     These are horrible and need to be ripped off and thrown away as far as possible.

Reason  not good for cold starting as they over choke and fast idle not high enough  and as soon as blip the throttle  - loose fast idle.

Manual choke far superior especially for cold winter starts  - can adjust / bend linkages for a better / higher fast idle.

Set all mine to 2000rpm on full choke.

Have seen imported second hand imported US  carburettored engines here (Chev V8s)   and we shake ours heads in disbelief.   This emissions stuff here gets ripped off and thrown away.

Edited by subnz

They will never run right without the valving that varies the airflow to the primary and secondary air bleeds based on engine temp, etc. 

The have a vacuum secondary, and tiny venturies that choke low end torque. 

They were designed for emissions and fuel economy. 

The Weber 32/36 is designed for performance and will negatively impact emissions and fuel economy generally. 

Pick which one you want. They both do completely different jobs. 

No room in my life for the Hitachi carbs. They perform a job that I don't want performed. I scrap as many of them as I possibly can so they can be turned in soda cans - which I rather enjoy more. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

Sure agree - not as economical and more emissions  without extra emissions plumbing and   but more simple and less to go wrong  with   heat / age and less hp  lost. 

If I was in the US   I would probably do the same thing - throw away the hitachi and bolt on a weber  but not necessary here as they run fine in this simple form.

Has  "summer / winter"  manual lever operated air intake flap control.

If carb icing   -  a reminder switch air intake flap to "winter" (warm air drawn off exhaust manifold via flexible hose)

My 1987 NZDM  Ea81 Brumby  (Brat) has breaker points distributor (tried to post pictures from 2 sources but this site doesn't seem to like me doing that)

I'm guessing the reason why the NZ authorities here didn't require the full emissions treatment and electronic breakerless distributors

is that it was a truck / pickup so requirements  were probably less stringent.

But Gen 3 GL carbed cars here  had breakerless electronic dstributors at this time.

We didn't see fuel injection until after 89 in some GL models although Turbos then were fuel injected. 

This was the original setup for earlier models here as well.

1988 on .- most all new cars here in  NZ from that the time were fuel injected and electronic managed ignitions.

Edited by subnz