Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight issue

Hey guys, so long story short my headlights decided to tweak out on me. Passenger low beam just doesn't work, fuses good, light itself good (I seitch Ed sides and stayed the same). So I went deeper, since I did the conversion to dl lights I thought maybe I fudged up so I undid my electrical tape and checked all my wiring and it was fine no cut wires or anything, so I cut the harness up a little and got the crimps out of the way and still nothing, now I haven't tested for whether I'm missing power or ground but I'm guessing ground, here's why, when I turn on my high beams BOTH passenger lights turn on and then the driver HIGH BEAM but them the driver LOW BEAM that previously worked shuts off. So it's like the combination switch blew out a connection for the low beam ground on the passenger side or something? Thanks everyone

You're probably better off doing an H4 dual headlight conversion with low & high beam relays wired directly to fused battery connections. Buy 4 9003/H4 headlight connectors, some colored wire, 4 pin relays & sockets & go to town.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dual+h4+headlight+schematics&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=0d2NTE8Pvu-scM%253A%252CgCpuDJ6wHe1seM%252C_&usg=__PBiHrNfoiqVII9pGIYk1rh95bVY%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNtpuWluXXAhWh5IMKHbM8BusQ9QEIKzAA#imgrc=11W7UL5r5X02EM:

I did this but added a center pair/fog light switch in dash.  

Edited by czny

You're probably better off doing an H4 dual headlight conversion with low & high beam relays wired directly to fused battery connections. Buy 4 9003/H4 headlight connectors, some colored wire, 4 pin relays & sockets & go to town.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dual+h4+headlight+schematics&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=0d2NTE8Pvu-scM%253A%252CgCpuDJ6wHe1seM%252C_&usg=__PBiHrNfoiqVII9pGIYk1rh95bVY%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNtpuWluXXAhWh5IMKHbM8BusQ9QEIKzAA#imgrc=11W7UL5r5X02EM:

I did this but added a center pair/fog light switch in dash.

I fixed them. Idk what the hell I did that fixer it but i cut open my harness and went through that side and now they're fine. So must have had a bad crimp or something idk

Oh, czny , have someone drive that car at night for you, you drive something else and drive towards each other at night. I got some of similar and resorted them only to high beam due to the dazzle I got from my lights on low beam. Low beam on mine was bottom row and just the center LED of the middle row

Hey OP, did you wire battery pos to lights and switch control the earth?

Another 2+2 = 5 case

• Like 1

Oh, czny , have someone drive that car at night for you, you drive something else and drive towards each other at night. I got some of similar and resorted them only to high beam due to the dazzle I got from my lights on low beam. Low beam on mine was bottom row and just the center LED of the middle row

Another 2+2 = 5 case

Drove 1500 miles already & nobody has flashed their beams yet. Mine have top row & center rows of LEDs for low beams. SAE print goes to top of lamp.

Low beams following another car I just keep back far enough that beams don't meet back window of car ahead. Tractor-trailer rigs around here have them too.

• Like 1

DL headlight buckets aren't quite deep enough for these LED lamps so replaced the trim ring screws with longer allens & backed those up with nuts behind the bucket flanges to keep all from vibrating loose. Helps keep pressure down on plastic the lenses so they don't crack later on. Can't recall the thread pitch of those screws but found them at a Home Depot locally.

Another 2+2 = 5 case

I cut out the stock plug for the loyale lights and ran the plugs for the duals. Took me a minute to remember they're a negative trigger setup but everything is wired in as if it was a DL now