Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water pump sticks out too far?

I was thinking maybe the bearing in my idler/tensioner pulley was going bad because its noisy, and I noticed that my water pump seems to be sticking out too far.... Look at the pictures. You can see what I am talking about. Maybe this is causing stress on the pulley making the bearings go bad.

The engine as rebuilt last year before I purchased the cat

post-66938-0-27616200-1512326920_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-48119300-1512326937_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-81203600-1512326955_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-76758000-1512326981_thumb.jpg

post-66938-0-75015000-1512326996_thumb.jpg

There are two different water pumps for the EA82. Factory AC cars, and Non-AC or dealer AC cars. You need the one applicable to your accessories.

GD

Yeah, but in the end the belts all ended up at the same spacing from the crank.  i.e. al the other accessories ride in the same relative place.  

The differnence on the shorter pumps was made up for with a thicker pulley on the factory AC models. (105mm pump)  This thicker pulley bolts to pump, then Clutch fan bolts to another set of studs on the pulley.

On the non-AC or dealer setup,the longer pump(110mm), the clutch fan bolts on using the same studs as the actual pulley.  Slips over them.

So....If you put a short pump on an setup made for the long one.....you get a pulley riding too far inboard.  unless you find a thicker pulley.

In this posters case, I believe you've got the longer pump, but are still using the thicker pulley.  If you find a thin, non-ac pulley, you can swap it out and not have to change pumps.  Otherwise, get the shorter 105mm pump.

I can probably dig one up for ya.

Just to make sure, take a good look at yer pulley.  Remove the clutch fan and see if there are bolts holding the pulley to the pump in between the fan studs, or if the fan studs are shared/common to the pulley.

if it's the former, thicker pulley with the bolts between the studs then yes getting a thinner common stud pulley will fix it.

Or.......remove pump, set it up in a press with the impeller shaft supported from the back side, and press the pulley hub 5mm further down the shaft.

I had to swap pumps, you are not alone! I put the first on, and the belt came off and almost slapped me. The factory fan sucks so it's a good idea to upgrade to electrics, but I'd recommend following GD and do the Maxima alternator swap as well

I will check the pulley tomorrow. I've been meaning to swap the fan for an electronic one anyway...

Most likely I will take full dimensions of the pulley with calipers so we can put that info on the forum for others who have this issue.

I definitely need to upgrade my Alternator! I just replaced it with a new one, and it's still not cutting it for what I want to do.

I was thinking that - If you go electric fan, it would be wise to do the alternator upgrade.

Hard to say why it ended up with 2 different pumps / pulleys.  All kinds of unforeseen things come up and time / what's available / what costs less to fix the problem / shortage / error  on the fly when things are already in production often cost and or time to market is #1 priority, not what happens 5 years later when repairs start to become more common.

I press mine to suit the deck height. With GMB jap made pumps the hub can be pulled or pressed to correct spot. One deck height pump is dearer than the other at local suppliers.

So same pump just adjust if design allows

• Like 1