Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lower gears in a dual range

Scott in Bellingham

OK guys whats the lowest gears we can have in a Subaru transaxle? Ive been running EA82 Dualrange 5 speeds the 85-88 model they have a 1.59 Low range ratio with a 3.9 final ratio my question is can I go any Better? if so what bits and parts work from what models I play offroad and like the Subaru layout just would prefer some lower gears and stronger rear axles thanks Scott

You can go for a EUDM or AUDM EJ box, change the 1,447:1 for the 1,59:1 from your EA82 and swap the 4,44 final drive from an SG XT.

Its not plug and play but has already been done.

Need a Center Diff lock box to make it effective wheelin.

Or just weld the center diff entirely.

Yep, with the 1-5 gears and shafts from an RX FT4WD box or EJ D/R box, swap in the PT4WD EA82 1.59 low range, and then use the EJ 4.444 R&P (has to be clearanced a bit). Have to use an EJ center diff, I'm not sure if there's a locking version from some other part of the world, but the XT6 or part-time stuff will definitely not work with the EJ pinion.

Yep, with the 1-5 gears and shafts from an RX FT4WD box or EJ D/R box, swap in the PT4WD EA82 1.59 low range, and then use the EJ 4.444 R&P (has to be clearanced a bit). Have to use an EJ center diff, I'm not sure if there's a locking version from some other part of the world, but the XT6 or part-time stuff will definitely not work with the EJ pinion.

XT6 fulltime box uses same pinion as RX fulltime. why wouldn't that work?

• 1 month later...

You can mix and match XT6 and RX center diff, but in order to get better than 3.9, you have to use the EJ R&P, which is much shorter and will not engage the EA diff.

You can change the final drive ratio - some won't like this but I've done it anyway: Cut and shut on the pinion shaft to the desired ratio.

My L series runs the RX dual range AWD locking centre box with 1.59:1 low range (plus oil feeders over the low range to keep it cooler on long climbs), phase two EJ front cases and matching gearset, EA AWD pinion shaft modified to 4.111:1 ratio, EA AWD centre diff lock.

It can be done but the cut and shut bit is the expensive part. With the use of the DCCD centre this box build is basically obsolete over here.

To fit the 4.111:1 crown wheel I had to shave part of the teeth to clear the large gears of the 1.59:1 low range. If going 4.44:1 you have to shave off more, but I've heard/read that you're not interfering with the pinion and ring gear's contact area.

Best would be creating a low range before the centre diff that's more inline with a "tradtional" 4wd gearbox. But that's more $$$$s plus R&D time.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 2