Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 dual range 5spd into 91 auto Loyale?

So I bought a 1991 loyale with 125k on it for a parts supply for my 88 GL. It's a nicer car than my 88, except for the unfortunate fact that it's saddled with an auto tranny. So has anyone done this change, from auto 4wd to 5spd dual range? Any major issues with the swap (engine timing etc.)?

Eric

What part of lake tahoe ive got a 94 loyale build going on in south lake its a easy swap just need a few little things like you need to disable the nutral safty switch and i think you need some kind of relay or something the gage cluster would be a good thing to swap also but not necisary if i remember the wireing is all there its just not all used ive never done that swap my self but i have worked on cars that have had that swap done it dident look like a big deal i think its just the starter cercate and a light that needs to be turned off i pull the motor and trans when i need to work on any of that stuff it just seems easyer to me especialy since you need to change stuff on the back of the motor too

I had a dual range 5 speed installed in place of my single range 5 speed in a 92 Loyale. Love it. Guy said the swap was very straight forward. No drama. He did say the backup lights would no longer function due to incompatible connectors on the two trannys. I figured out the wiring and it's fine. Just need to jump a few wires at the connectors.  Here's how I did it: Find the switch wires for the backup light switch that is inside the tranny. Use an ohmmeter.  Then locate the wire that feeds the backup lights. To do that, remove both backup bulbs and use clip leads to put 9v (battery from a radio or toy or old smoke detector) where one of the bulbs were. That's so you can do tracing and find it because the only 9v in the car will be from the backup light sockets. Once you find that wire, jump it to one of the two backup switch wires and the other switch wire goes to +12v that is conveniently located at those sockets somewhere. Done! I hacked up the connectors to get the pins out and used those to make the connections. You can also use butt connectors, crimp splices, or whatever.

cnc

My 90 is a 5spd dual range swap from a 4wd auto.Very straightforward swap. Biggest things are console obviously since you will have 2 gear shifters instead of the push button, pedals, I chose to leave the gauges alone and taped the neutral safety switch in the neautral position underneath the center of the console just under the e-brake, and you will either have to wire your backup lights to the trans to work properly, or I actually installed a toggle for them just below the shifter. As long as you have the necessary parts, all of the wiring and body holes should already be there. And I can guarantee it will climb like a tank with that dual range.

Very easy retrofit, esp if you have a full car to pull from. The wiring can all be handled at the AT shifter connector. Reverse lights are the only thing that will take any mental fortitude, but the solution can be as easy as a manual switch. The pin out can be found searching this forum or in a service manual.

Years back, I converted a 1990 fwd 3AT loyale to fwd 5MT, then to awd 5MT DR from an RX and 5 lugged it. The pictures are long gone but the post is still alive from my old defunct account:
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/129704-5lug-fwdawd-90-fwd-loyale-3-door/

I live just down the hill from Lake Tahoe in Gardnerville, if you ever need anything. I still have 2 RX's and a garage full of parts, including factory service manuals.