Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Heads on Impeza Block

Have ej25 block,crank sprocket and cam sprockets from 2005 Impreza. with ej25 heads from a 2005 Legacy. The Impreza timing belt is too tight to install. Subaru calls for a 13028aa231 tbelt for a 05 Impreza and a 13025aa21b for a 05 Legacy. Since Im using the 05 Impreza block, crank and cam sprockets it seems like the tbelt from a 05 Impreza would work. There must be the some difference between the 2005 Legacy and Impreza heads, crank or cam sprockets. Anyone know what that difference is? Just ordered the 05 Legacy tbelt. 

Edited by steve56

Hmm. I would have assumed the imp belt would work too.

Did you check to see if the sprockets have the same Part numbers between leg and imp?

05 is a transition year oddball between 04 and 06. Ive seen subaru supply the wrong part when searched by VIN on 05s.

just to be clear and get basics out of the way since we don’t know any history or story:

are they positively 2005 parts, maybe they’re 04?

you’re positive it’s too tight? Did you remove the lower idler to install?

Went into the Subaru dealer and got my right camshaft gear verified as belonging on a 05 Impreza .They didn't have a left cam gear in stock, so I couldn't verify that one.against mine. I had previously tried two different right camshaft gears and both seemed to make the tbelt too tight.. My two left cam gears seem to be identical. I will try installing the tbelt again tomorrow.

There is no difference. Part numbers being different at Subaru between Impreza and Legacy means absolutely nothing. Sprockets may have different trigger teeth and this would account for part numbers. Or maybe not. Cant tell you how many times I've seen the same part in boxes with different numbers. Usually the Legacy part is higher priced than the Impreza part.

They do have two different part numbers for timing belts on some models - one being a Mitsuboshi belt and the other being another Japanese manufacturer.... They are interchangeable but slightly different in price.

You simply can't use the Subaru part number system to delinileate actual part differences. You will get nowhere with that method.

Chances are you just don't know how to install the belt correctly.

I have installed literally thousands of single cam 2.5 and 2.2 (phase 2) belts on every model Subaru ever put them in..... They are all identical.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

There is no difference. Part numbers being different at Subaru between Impreza and Legacy means absolutely nothing. Sprockets may have different trigger teeth and this would account for part numbers. Or maybe not. Cant tell you how many times I've seen the same part in boxes with different numbers. Usually the Legacy part is higher priced than the Impreza part.

They do have two different part numbers for timing belts on some models - one being a Mitsuboshi belt and the other being another Japanese manufacturer.... They are interchangeable but slightly different in price.

You simply can't use the Subaru part number system to delinileate actual part differences. You will get nowhere with that method.

Chances are you just don't know how to install the belt correctly.

I have installed literally thousands of single cam 2.5 and 2.2 (phase 2) belts on every model Subaru ever put them in..... They are all identical.

GD

Interesting.How do you install a timing belt correctly?

Edited by steve56