Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smoking on start up 95 svx

Most likely valve seals. My 97 SVX does the same thing, just not very bad. In nearly 1k miles I have needed to add no oil. Seals dry out from sitting, figure 130k miles in 22 years. There is a decent amount of sitting involved in that time. If it isn't fouling plugs are using excess oil I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

Thanks for your reply it goes thru a qrt in a tank of gas depending on how many stops I make just wanted to see if it was common to the engine I've had a few cars that did the same and it never caused them any problems it just got worse as the miles piled on I'm just new to the boxer motor I'm really enjoying the car have u driven yours in the snow I'm concerned about my awd because I can get the front tires to spin I was under the impression that it's supposed to put more power to the rear when that happens or do the back wheels need to slip for this to happen I have so many questions lol I'll try to keep them at a minimum thanks G

A quart per tank of gas is not normal.

A leak down test may reveal where it’s going - valves or piston rings. Someone well versed in subarus may know if that large amount of oil is one or the other.

How many miles have you driven it? I wonder if you could get real lucky and consumption will decrease as you drive it - stuck Rings?

Replace the PCV valve.

Yes the AWD should work well and it’ll be as good in the snow as the tires that are on it. If you just bought it with these issues then that usually doesn’t mean it has awesome tires on it and they could suck in the snow regardless of 4WD.

Check that the rear driveshaft is attached.

Is the FWD light on?

Does the FWD light work?

Is a fuse installed in the FWD holder?

Does the AT light work?

Does it blink 16 times at start up?

Edited by idosubaru

Yeah the rears do need to slip first (have a different relative speed to the “front”), but rear tires should essentially kick in quick.

How much are the fronts spinning?

Do the rears eventually engage?

SVX transmission and wheel bearing failures are common. Be sure to look into those SVX specific topics.

Change the ATF and add an ATF cooler.

Edited by idosubaru

The front has to slip for the rear to get more power. The SVX also came in FWD models for 2 years, you by chance have one of them maybe? I have only had my SVX about 7 weeks so no snow, Eastern NC may not even see any. My Brat has been my snow ride for over 20 years and with the ground clearance on my SVX it will probably still be. The all wheel drive system on a SVX is a active torque split (ACT-4) which is a common Subaru all wheel drive system. There is nothing wrong with the system and it works well in poor driving conditions. That is not to say yours may have an issue. A 95 should have a updated transmission. Transmission problems were more common in the first couple of years and upgrades were incorporated in the SVX as time went by. A transmission cooler is still not a bad idea if yours does not have one. Redline D4 transmission fluid may be a good choice, that is what I have already installed in mine. Wheel bearings can still be an issue. Try going up a weight in oil and see if that helps. I don't think your seeing only a valve seal issue as that amount of oil is quite much. How about a picture?

post-281-0-49224100-1513311901_thumb.jpg