Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 NA going turbo progress

jono

This is my mock up of EA82T stuff o to my 510,000 km 92 EA81

It has an imported from the US EA82 spfi intake manifold up to including the throttle body - no more.

Fitted an M16 1.5 brass barb to the temp sender port to return coolant from the VF4

EA82T exhaust cross pipe is on, switched stud holes in the heads exhaust port.

EA82T coolant pipe from the rhs heads drain plug to feed the turbo ...I'd swear the pipe was made for clearing EA81 head and rocker before it saw an EA82 of any description

One or two snags seem to be the turbo alloy bolt on section clearing egr in port but filed it down to clear...likely require work on egr pipe but to work...maybe not such a chunky hex

One bolt of the inlet manifold needs its mount point reduced in height by about 10 mm

A trip to a hose maker to get oil from switch port up to the turbo banjo bolt and likely a port for idiot light and gauge up near turbo for ease of access

And that is about where I am

Love to know if anyone ever used spfi for turbo before me

post-11063-0-50927300-1513233041_thumb.jpg

post-11063-0-00892200-1513233062_thumb.jpg

post-11063-0-23888600-1513233080_thumb.jpg

post-11063-0-76166500-1513233099_thumb.jpg

post-11063-0-25714000-1513233117_thumb.jpg

Plans for dizzy are either mad boost control attachment or stick ea81 dist drive cog on a Series One EA82T four pin module dizzy and knock control box

Be feeding it propane so need to rig up turbo to throttle body stuff

G'day Jono (long time!)

Do a search on this forum - I remember reading of a build thread where the guy dropped a turbo on the side of his SPFI converted EA81.

I reckon his images won't be available unless you have the patch to get around the image issue.

It should be a good little runner so long as the rings/compression holds up!

Cheers

Bennie

Had a bit of a read, search and still come up with zip Bennie.

I still have to make this thing run and drive before I am gonna pat self on back

Be more like a slap in the face if I dont rebuild the base before hand. Shoot, a turbo on a full compression EA81 with half a million km on it be asking for trouble.

Yeah, it is a long time. My old PC went to crap about time i ditched my ISP. Then at some stage I need to thank all the doctors, nurses and support staff that at least got me back on my feet ( well OK, I was wheeled out of ICU warmer than others)

I developed severe bilateral pnuemonia that took nearly sixty hours to diagnose. Same as that new bride on her honeymoon out in the Pacific this year.

Diagnosis did not come until after her death from the sounds of things. Took almost a year to get the mo part of my mojo back, working on the second half - and my bucket list

Edited by jono

Sh!te mate sorry to hear that. Hope you're fast on the way to a full recovery.

I've had a look around and found the thread I was thinking about - http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/149898-project-scubaroo-picture-heavy/?hl=turbo&do=findComment&comment=1256770

Need to see pics? Drop in here and get what you need ;)

here

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Cheers

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo

Hey Bennie, yeah thanks. Great work on finding the post but missing pics as you say, lost a few thousand words when botophucket drops out

No harm as not sound like he reveals much other than it was long term a disaster as turbo

I'll ignore that and keep plodding along

• 2 weeks later...

Did the patch link work for you?

I'll ignore that and keep plodding along

I like your style ;) don't ring it every gear change and it should be right for some time to come ;)

Add a second injector that activates with boost to keep the AFRs happy if need be...

Cheers

Bennie

something worked but still no pics. Second injector ?? Huh, i aint using wetrol. Using good old dry gaseous fuel propane and however much butane they wanna add at the time. in the meantime while tinkering with EA82 going to be using Peel Instruments Lean Bias Logic sytem to keep everything in check as far as enrichment is needed. Need to fit up a Throttle Position Sensor to the spfi throttle shaft to feed the logic box a 0.5 to 4.5V signal.

I think the spfi TPS was just a basic switch like Series 1 EA82 mpfi

Been running the turbo gas gear on the NA, sort of loses torque down low and makes big WHOOPEE up around 5 - 6 k rpm. Currently gone back to smaller scale Impco gear to get the low end torque back and my 10 litres per hundred km economy, losing the cheeky snarl up higher rev range.

Plan is to go back to bigger capacity gear for high end GO and let the LBL gear deal with the lean bogs down low - hoping to get a way wider torque band.

What I learn hear can apply to the turby EA81 :)