Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82t random start issues.

So about 2 weeks ago I had an issue starting my 89 gl with ea82t, it shook like it was misfiring and wouldn't stay running without my foot on the throttle.

Once it warmed up no issues.

I didn't have another problem, but I changed the coil which was original out for an MSD unit. It ran much smoother.

Then today I drove a mile, then I did plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. The rotor came out in multiple pieces, so I figured it'd run better.

However it struggled to stay running without throttle and set a check engine. Then again later the same thing after it sat.

It's almost like it's not getting enough fuel at startup.

Is mpdi, and the aav is disconnected. Any ideas?

the aav is disconnected.

But the problem is intermittent, the aav has never been connected in the whole time I've owned it.

At first I thought it was because it was getting cold here in the PNW but after the initial issues there were some cold mornings it was fine, so I'm just at a loss.

I'm having trouble locating the CTS on this engine.

The car will start and stall in park. In neutral it'll start and respond to throttle. It stalled in traffic on my way home so i parked it and went and got a drink, came out, wiggled wires around where I could've bumped something and then it started fine, check engine was gone.

The CTS should be very near the thermostat, 2 wire sensor.

The wiggling wires fixing it could indicate a broken wire.  I had one break in the engine harness.  Found it by unwrapping the harness, and inspecting the wires.  One had a break inside the insulation.

• 1 month later...

Did you manage to locate the problem? I had the same issue, never confirmed it 100% but turned out to be bad fuel/ water in fuel. It cranked and almost started, sometimes started with a lot of throttle. All sensors were working comparing to the ohm meter and I cleaned all earth points, though none of them was bad.    Than one day I put fresh fuel and water treatment, and have not had this issue since. Though sometimes I hear misfire when hot, and shoots flames on full throttle but that could be another problem. It is ea82T wagon with the SPFI I think