Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intake manifold gasket seal

let’s see if we can do this free - cut a thin piece of cardboard as a form and then strip some wiring laying around the garage and wrap the cardboard for a free copper gasket?!

Sheet copper and copper wiring are two entirely different materials.  Since both a gas/air mixture and a coolant mixture flow through the intake manifold attachment point, a copper wire wrap could have dozens of leaks for the coolant into the gas mixture, causing white smoke to come pouring out of the exhaust and the engine to run like crap.

Im not sure of the thickness of the copper i use  copper isent cheap you wont be able to get the material for under $12 but copper makes the bast gaskets end of story and being reuse able is a plus when i was making my custom intake i had the intake off 12-15 times so thats almost $200 in gaskets if i used factory gaskets everytime i pulled the intake hence the reusable gaskets time is money yes for sure but in the r&d i was doing copper made way more sence i am retiered so the whole time issue is out the window i just enjoymaking my own stuff and when it works better than whats on the market i get stoked on it i enjoy building stuff i see in the stores and or websites the cerial box gaskets do work just fine ive had to do repairs at sea and they work just fine you cant always go to the parts store sometimes you have to make stuff work the copper wire is a thang though its called ringing the gasket you use coper wire rings around ports mostly used for extremely high boost engine headgaskets the wire bonds to the sheet material and makes one hell of a seal

• Like 2

Time is money. I can't make a gasket out of anything for $12. That's a little over 7 minutes of my time. You'll learn this as you get older. Your time may be worthless now, but at some point you will want to get something done without it taking forever. The dealer gaskets are excellent and fairly priced. There just isn't a reason to deviate from them at this time. 

GD

Exactly. No need to 'spend a dollar to make a dime.' 

I Think its more about the prep and how the gaskets are installed ive never had any issues with any gasket ive used on the intake i make my own and there far from perfect but seem to work as good as factory so far anyway

That is correct.  Sometimes when you buy a gasket you buy a nicely shaped piece of cardboard.  

Make your own is the way to go.

maybe a google image search will help you on each term, so too a visit to rockauto, search through catalogue and click on images

A shaft seal can have a direction of shaft turn indicated on it in the casting of the rubber/plastic, also its ID, its OD and width

an O ring is just an O shape mostly if you cut through it you get an O section look at it. You can buy lengths of it to make some o ring style gaskets too. Our EA82 has an o ring section seal fondly referred to as a mickey mouse seal. That light bulb will click when you see one :)

The factory gaskets will not bond to the surfaces that quickly. They could be reused easily if doing manifold R&D.

GD

Once you compress them and get them hot they stick if they dont get hot they might be reusable but that depends on alot of things and after a few time they wont seal anymore

• Like 1