Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Turbo GL 10 quit on the road

Greetings. I am new to the forum and relatively new to Subaru. A few months ago my 18 year old son and I became the proud owners of 2 Subarus--one of them a 1987 turbo 4WD GL10 wagon (MPFI)-- a  fairly high mileage car that has some rust on it but my son loves it, especially since we live up in the Inland NW, and we enjoy working on it together.

A few days ago my son was on his way home when the car quit. We pulled it into the garage and checked for the obvious. When we checked for spark, there was none. I also noted that after a fair bit of cranking there was no indication of any fuel (wetness) on the spark plugs. 

I have a Haynes repair manual and have used that to do some troubleshooting. The coil checks out ok and there is battery voltage at the coil. However I don't have any spark generating, even right out of the coil.  So I went to a local salvage yard and picked up a new distributor unit. The distributor is a crank angle distributor (no vacuum advance). My vehicle is a turbo but the distributor I picked up is out of a non-turbo vehicle with a slightly different part number. On-line it looks like the 2 part numbers cross reference. I installed the distributor and timed to #1 cyl. Still no spark.

I also just noticed that I do not have much fuel pressure to the fuel filter. I hear the fuel pump kick in momentarily when I turn the ignition on but I only get one shot of fuel when I crank and then no more--not sure if that is another problem or related. 

I checked the ECM for any fault codes but unfortunately during this process the battery went dead so I disconnected the battery leads to clean them before charging the battery--all that to say is that I canceled any codes that might have been stored.

Does anyone out there have any ideas or past experience with something similar? I sure would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

... Does anyone out there have any ideas or past experience with something similar? ...

Yes.

... I also just noticed that I do not have much fuel pressure to the fuel filter. I hear the fuel pump kick in momentarily when I turn the ignition on but I only get one shot of fuel when I crank and then no more--not sure if that is another problem or related. ...

Nope, it sounds Normal, if you consider this: 

Remember that the Power for the fuel Pump is cut off, if the engine does not run; so there will be Power on the wiring for the fuel Pump, only few seconds after turning the key to the "ON" position.

That's a safety measurement; so the pump stops if the engine doesn't run, to avoid a fire / explosion in case of a Crash or a Rollover...

... A few days ago my son was on his way home when the car quit. We pulled it into the garage and checked for the obvious...

Two basic things comes to my mind, that often get overlooked:

Timing Belts and

Fusible Links.

I kindly suggest you to verify the current state of those two things, as a start point; one of the timing belts on the EA82 engine, also drives the gear to make the distributor's Rotor to spin, so it worth check if it spins when you crank the car with the distributor, open. If not, the driver's side timing belt has snapped; but if it spins, you need to check the passenger's side timing belt to be sure it hadn't snapped.

The Fusible Links are located inside the Black Box, over the coolant overflow tank, near to the battery; often they gets rusty to the point that they looks alright, but only low voltage / amperage to gets thru them; worth checking them, cleansing their contacts.

Let us know the Results; Kind Regards.

• Like 2

please quote the part numbers of the dstributors stamped into their sides starting 22100AA then the three digits - starts to help us understand

These dizzys have two optical sensor circuits inside, one reads the cylinder positions with the four almost same size slots , #1 is longer ?. On the outer rim of the disc is 360 (or 180 - never counted them :) )  fine holes - think these help regulate when to squirt the juice.

If the trouble is with your sons, can you just leave out reference to your other one, confuses my brain a bit or at least state which is which ?

thanks

Top marks to those who said timing belt. Dunno what a record is for life of timing belts on our subes but know of some 80'smazdas with 250,000 km, smothered in oil and still they go!

You will appreciate the smarts of Fuji for the timing belt to stop driving the engine when belt snaps. No spark ! Only in some modified ea82 do valves touch pistons on these occasions. The ea82 is known as a free spinner

Thanks a bunch for all the good advice. Do you all suggest I also change the water pump while I am at? On a scale of 1 to 10 how important would that be.

On another note, I have been consistently losing coolant but do not see evidence of an external leak. Any ideas?

It's well past the time and miles for a reseal.

Coolant can dissappear without a trace a few ways. Small leak on block or radiator that evaporates fast enough to not leave noticable wetness.

Intake manifold gaskets or throttle body seal.

Headgaskets beginning to fail.

Cracked head is less common but can happen also.

Running these with anything more than a very small amount of air in the cooling system is bad for the headgaskets. Do not use the temperature gauge as a coolant level checker. It's too late then.

• Like 1

Subaru still has a couple of new GL10 cylinders heads.  There is one GL10 in Sherwood Pick-N-Pull with Gen 1 cylinder heads.  But the coolant leak is commonly attributed to loose cylinder head bolts, or loose intake manifold bolts.  If you have a crusty residue accumulating under the radiator cap, then your cylinder head gasket is probably disintegrating.  If you clean off the bottoms of the cylinder head gaskets and run the engine for a week or so, a coolant leak out the cylinder head gasket may show up as a green stain (assuming green coolant) on the bottom of the cylinder head.  This is caused by loose cylinder head bolts.

• Like 1

So... we just got at the driver's side timing belt which failed. The belt on the passenger side and the tensioner look great. However the tensioner on the driver's side seized (I can't turn it at all and it looks like it overheated) so it looks like the timing belt got hot as it was "drug over" the seized  tensioner until it failed. So its of to buy some parts and then reassembly  

when you get to do up the bolts holding the timing belt idlers they really arent tensioners as such coz we have to adjust and lock them in place. The two bolts each into the front of the block have a low torque setting. Observe that setting....with a torque wrench

So we replaced the timing belts etc and timed them as per our Haynes manual--the marks on the camshaft gears aligned with the marks on the inner belt covers with the middle valve timing  mark on flywheel (I believe these are the 3 marks on the flywheel spaced about ⅛" apart with no numerical markings) aligned with the pointer on the bell housing. Then I timed the distributor to TDC (according to the timing marks on the flywheel) with #1 cylinder (front passenger side cylinder) on compression stroke. So far so good. However I can't get the car to start--it almost started once but sounds like something may not be timed quite right. We do have spark.

Any ideas of what I should check next? Sure appreciate all the good input!

A key steps - Align 1 belt.  Set the idler.  Rotate the crank 1 full rotation, back to the center of the 3 marks.  Then install the second belt.  Set the idler.

Doing it this way use the timing marks on the top of the rear timing belt covers.  Factory procedure.  I use a torque wrench to set the tension as per the FSM.

After this, I like to turn the engine by hand several revolutions, to let the belts walk to where they prefer to run.  Re check the tension, with the timing mark for the belt being checked at it's timing position.  Do 2nd belt. 

Run for 30 seconds.  Lets the belts walk, and check for rubbing.

Re check re tension again.

Finish assembly.

Sounds like you found the " timing belt install marks" look like lll.

Best not to call them timing marks to avoid confusion with ignition timing scale.

But yeah, as pointed out above did you give it all one full clockwise turn before next belt?

This procedure can get the dizzy out 180 degrees depending on where can was to start with. Number one should be closest to firewall when 8* btdc is under pointer and rotor pointing close to it