Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for options for slipping clutch on EJ swap

So I did an EJ swap and didnt have a XT6 preasure plate and used a stock EA one.it held pretty good for a while,even burning out with my new bad boy engine!but resently i have noticed it slipping in the heavy snow even with my dinky 13 inch snows on.i love this car and would hate to get rid of it cuz it does amazing most of the time.the other thing that bothers me is that it bottoms out the suspension alot too on bumpy roads.was thinking on doing a staight axle swap and changing the trans to a EJ unit to deal with the clutch.just dont know if its worth all the work or should i just part ways.car over all is in excelent shape with no rot or dents!Thoughts?thanks!

thanks guys.so would a machine shop know what to do if i tell them the specs?

If they don't know what a step in a flywheel is, don't take it to them. :huh:

Had mine cut but mach shop wouldn't go less than .827", 21 mm. When the mach shop second guesses you, its time to find another shop.

Clutch is still holding up well now for 8 yrs.

Edited by czny

Don't get rid of it!

Rear end - shove a set of 80's civic/prelude front end springs on the rear shocks. Job done ;)

You'll probably find the rear springs are on their way out with age and that you're hitting rough tracks harder with the prowess of the EJ :D

Cheers

Bennie

Because that is all I have at the moment. Older Subarus are a little rarer here than most places. I figure I'll do the swap and if it pucks out after a while I will try and get one shipped here. I don't really plan on driving it hard. Plus so far my EA 4 speed has been trouble free. You think it may still be a mistake to use it?

Because that is all I have at the moment. Older Subarus are a little rarer here than most places. I figure I'll do the swap and if it pucks out after a while I will try and get one shipped here. I don't really plan on driving it hard. Plus so far my EA 4 speed has been trouble free. You think it may still be a mistake to use it?

Just know that it won't hold up long.  Personally had 2 of my swaps grenade the 4spd within the first year of driving.

If you on;y putter around it might be fine, but then why do you need an EJ?

Don't get rid of it!

Rear end - shove a set of 80's civic/prelude front end springs on the rear shocks. Job done ;)

You'll probably find the rear springs are on their way out with age and that you're hitting rough tracks harder with the prowess of the EJ :D

Cheers

Bennie

I WILL CHECK THA OUT.THANKS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

If they don't know what a step in a flywheel is, don't take it to them. :huh:

Had mine cut but mach shop wouldn't go less than .827", 21 mm. When the mach shop second guesses you, its time to find another shop.

Clutch is still holding up well now for 8 yrs.

But if im not mistaken dont you run an EA motor in yours.i hve the 2.2 EJ. with the STOCK EA cluch.need MORE holding power!

But if im not mistaken dont you run an EA motor in yours.i hve the 2.2 EJ. with the STOCK EA cluch.need MORE holding power!

Yup, that's why I have an extra EA flywheel too. Now that my days in Commiefornia are numbered(because the place in Troy MT is becoming a reality) I can change over to an EJ too. At last!

Having less torque with an EA it was necessary for me to shift more often in the hills on trip to MT.

Edit: Go with what the others have told you for step depth on your flywheel - .810 to .815 inch. Exedy 15008 clutch kit.

I know I will. Have a brand new Sachs clutch kit for the convert too. Unobtainium.

Edited by czny
  • Like 1