Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pulling front right spark plug

Just bought a 90 loyale last week and want to change the plugs.l, I got the three easy ones but the one in the front right is terribly hard to get at. The ac compressor is blocking my access and I was wondering if there is a truck to getting to it. Do I really need to remove the ac compressor? Thanks!

Just bought a 90 loyale last week and want to change the plugs.l, I got the three easy ones but the one in the front right is terribly hard to get at. The ac compressor is blocking my access and I was wondering if there is a truck to getting to it. Do I really need to remove the ac compressor? Thanks!

I got mine with a thin walled 13/16th spark socket and like 10 inches of extension.

If it's never been removed by you, it might be worth unmounting the compressor and swinging it out of the way. The hoses are long enough.

Once you know the plug will remove, and use anti seize you can get it out with long extension. Maybe a u joint. Iirc the angle wasn't quite right for just a straight extension. A 3/8 drive worked a little better.

I used to believe to remove steel bolt from cast iron block or head it was best to have at operating temperature. I am not so sure in our steel in alloy case.

I d be putting the other three new in, run it with some spray lube almost flooding that tricky plug better known as #2, let it col, start up again, let it cool see if expansion and contraction helps with the thread we are all assuming is tight, but you say access.

A good trick is also to buy not for example BP6ES but BCP6ES where the C i fel means a 5/8 hex on the plug nut the 13/16 so you use a slimmer spark plug socket from now on in. Once cracked, and to start new anti sieze coated threads, I use a foot of fuel hose to jam over spark plug top to guide in and feel for thread take up, less likely to cross thread as if with tools, and never short the alt terminals with tools except for time you have the first undo or do up movement with volt transfer tools

I bought a normal 13/16 deep socket (maybe the sockets too deep) but I can’t get it with just the socket and an extension or an extension with a swivel.. its really just the bracket for the a/c in the way. Guess I’ll swing it out of the way. I can get the socket on but then I run out of room.