Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,My first time here, hope I do this right.

Well, I have a 1996 Subaru legacy wagon that runs beautifully, unfortunately when I went to go through emissions, I stopped to put gas in it and the gas tank started leaking, so I turned around and went home, I mean you could smell the fumes, badly and I figured it wasn't going to pass anyway since the check light came on at this point. Now as you probably know what a pain it is to replace a tank, but the rest of the car is perfect, so I was thinking that maybe I could swap the engine and transmission to another suby wagon about the same year. My question is, does it have to be exactly the same year, or could it be a year older or maybe one younger without any hassels, same 2.2 engine of course? What do you think?

Welcome to the USMB, peter--you're gonna love it here!  I'd suggest you start a thread in the Newer Generation forum--you'll get more responses there.

It's probably not the gas tank--more likely the gas filler tube.  And that can be replaced in the car.  Good luck!

Replace the gas fill tube - cheap and can be replaced in 1-3 hours.

Engine can be installed in any 1995-1998 Subaru except SVX and 1999 legacy and 1999 outbacks.

95 and EJ25 vehicles will require the exhaust manifold as well but seeing as you have the entire car that’s no big deal.

There are a few changes and EGR-/nonEGR topics to consider if you’re in CA or require emissions or so t want the check engine light on....etc. but it’ll install and run and drive fine.