Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 Outback died looking for another

I put a few interstate miles on today and I am pleased to report no leaks on inpsection afterward. I really like the way it drives. The 6 cylinder is very smooth and gearing must be different as the engine turns 400 RPM less for a given speed than the 4 cylinder.

• 3 weeks later...

I have about 1500 miles on the new to me VDC. So far I have replaced a leaking oil cooler oring and oil pressure sending unit and last break my dear friend Frank Bryan came over and we changed the seeping RH valve cover gasket. It wasnt too bad a job. Airbox out, coil packs out, wiring bracket removed and wires moved to access it. The motor is nice and clean inside and there was very little to clean inside the valve cover. So far so good, no more leaks. I am averaging 23 to 24 MPG on the commute and continue to be impressed by the power and smoothness of the H6. I havent had to add any oil since I changed it other than the little bit we lost on the oil cooler oring change when I removed the filter.

The heated seats frequently are weak or don’t work. Check basics but they’re often unspectacular unless you want to get into replacing seats/heater elements.

Keep that original axle if it’s OEM. Theyre robust and often last the life of the car if cleaned and regreased.

Keep an eye on oil level in case it’s using oil.

In terms of not understanding it (your words) the VDC is nothing more than a nonVDC Subaru trans with some minors differences and it has no different fluid requirements at all. Clearly use the better fluid if you’re game like GD said but you can use any ATF in it so you shouldn’t needlessly worry about it either like it’s some phantom mysterious maintenance item.

Engine doesn’t need jacked up. 10mm ratcheting wrench is your friend here like most Subaru engines even back to the 80s.

The spark plugs are really easy with the valve covers off, and with the covers on they’re a tight sodoku puzzle of proper length tools that will befuddle a first timer , I always replace them at the same time unless they’re verifiably very low miles.

Thanks for the replies... Good to know on LH valve cover. We didnt mess with it since it aint leaking. We had to use the ratchet wrench on a couple of the bolts on the RH side. That one bolt on LH side looked impossible...I did make the used car lot guy give me the original axle and will put a boot on it. The old boot is crispy but hadnt gone all the way through so it should be good for a spare. Thanks to all for the help and advice. I plan to change the fluid in the differentials and transmission when I do the 1st oil change.

• 1 month later...

I am pleased to report I have put 4700 miles on the VDC and I am quite happy with it. I had to add 12 ounces of Amsoil oil today, the 1st since the oil change. Mileage has consistently been averaging 23-24 at speeds usually in excess if 80 MPH on the 122 mile round trip daily commute. I will be changing out the Amsoil 10w40 high zinc oil at 6000 miles, rotating the tires and changing the transmission and differentials fluids as well. No fluid or oil leaks and no further problems (knock on wood) thus far. I am hooked on the H6 as is the Bridal Unit. She wants me to sell her beautiful 1990 Cadillac Brougham De Elegance and buy another 2nd Gen VDC or LL Bean car so the hunt begins anew!