Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Outback just expired - can I get value for parts?

My 2006 Subaru Outback expired yesterday--broke down on the side of the road amid a huge spill of oil under the engine block. Have no idea what went wrong...my ex was driving it, I wasn't in the car and she's not the most clinical in terms of observing symptoms just before a car goes to that great garage in the sky. The oil was not overdue to be changed...cold weather, maybe? Anyway, this car has been nothing but a headache in the three years I've owned it so I'm happy to move on.

But I'm interested in seeing if I can get value for the parts, which I can then apply to the down payment of another Subaru (a more recent one!)...I've never done this before and am a complete newbie. Is it possible to get value for parts from a car that is no longer operational?

What do I need to consider?

Thanks,

Joe

Run an add in craigs list under auto parts and another under subarus for sale by owner.   Offer the whole car for a good price.  Depending on how fast you want to move it ,realistically if clean with gd tires and a clean free title it should be worth 1500.00 but you may ask to get 2000.000 , you also may only get offered $500.00. On a C.L. sale only take cash .

“Get value” - what does that even mean?

Yes you can sell parts off of it.

But its an asinine waste of time financially speaking even for someone like me who knows just about everything I need to do that easily. The logistics are mind numbing and you “make” peanuts.

Install an engine. Engine + labor = $2,000. Car is worth $3,000-$5,000 and you’re a couple thousand to the good.

Rather than wasting time in parts spend time getting an engine here:

www.car-part.com

How many miles are on it and what model is it?

Cloth or leather etc.   I would go to edmunds, price it up in average or good, whatever it is, and then price up a motor with headgasket and timing belt parts and labor and see if you want ot repair it or not.