Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 4WD TURBO RX starter Q.

while you are on the topic of the little male connector. Old Japanese cars often need a little modern pick me up here to take load off iginition switch

So, a 30 or 40A relay with a built in fuse in its front joey pocket be good.

Run nice fat wire from battery POS to 30 on relay

The female wire black/white trace goes to 86, instead of to starter solenoid from now on in

Wire 85 to a reliable earth

Nice fat wire, black with a white trace if you score one from a wreck from terminal 87 to the male spde on the starter solenoid

This set up means power from ignition is not loaded up with starter solenoid power, just light load to switch across 86 to earth 85 holding coil to bridge the heavier wire from battery to starter solenoid

This may fix your problem or prevent from occuring at a later stage

Edited by jono

while you are on the topic of the little male connector. Old Japanese cars often need a little modern pick me up here to take load off iginition switch

So, a 30 or 40A relay with a built in fuse in its front joey pocket be good.

Run nice fat wire from battery POS to 30 on relay

The female wire black/white trace goes to 86, instead of to starter solenoid from now on in

Wire 85 to a reliable earth

Nice fat wire, black with a white trace if you score one from a wreck from terminal 87 to the male spde on the starter solenoid

This set up means power from ignition is not loaded up with starter solenoid power, just light load to switch across 86 to earth 85 holding coil to bridge the heavier wire from battery to starter solenoid

This may fix your problem or prevent from occuring at a later stage

Joey pocket what? 30 relay and What's 85 or 86?? Sorry man but your instructions are confusing as hell ha. I have no idea what any of that means . I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to cars so can you please try and explain that one more time . I appologize for my ignorance when it comes to these things but I am extremely grateful to all who have put any time and effort into trying to help me out on here

I think the numbers may be a Bosch thing copied by many that make aftermarket auto "horn relays"

So each time you hook one up you look for the tiny numbers cast in the underside easily seen by youthful eyes

A useful website is www.the12v.com has lots of auto electrical tips n threads. Whenever a relay is involved they use these numbers

Get any relay attach 12 pos to 86 terminal 12 neg to 85 terminal and you will hear and feel a click inside.

There is a coil of clear insulated wire inside. When you give each end of the coils leads or terminals pos and neg power you created an electro magnet. This attracted part of a switch on a bendy piece of spring metal that then switched a circuit capable of carrying a heavier electrical load..

The joey pocket is as in kangaroo joey pouch pocket

Some relays have a socket in their front to take a blade fuse. Cist more but you can find its fuse easy and quick. No extra wires and connections for an inline fuse

I think the numbers may be a Bosch thing copied by many that make aftermarket auto "horn relays"

So each time you hook one up you look for the tiny numbers cast in the underside easily seen by youthful eyes

A useful website is www.the12v.com has lots of auto electrical tips n threads. Whenever a relay is involved they use these numbers

Get any relay attach 12 pos to 86 terminal 12 neg to 85 terminal and you will hear and feel a click inside.

There is a coil of clear insulated wire inside. When you give each end of the coils leads or terminals pos and neg power you created an electro magnet. This attracted part of a switch on a bendy piece of spring metal that then switched a circuit capable of carrying a heavier electrical load..

The joey pocket is as in kangaroo joey pouch pocket

Some relays have a socket in their front to take a blade fuse. Cist more but you can find its fuse easy and quick. No extra wires and connections for an inline fuse

Where do I find the 85 and 86 terminal?

Cranking but won't start . Haven't tried the rewiring trick yet. The oil pressure gauge is either not working or it has no oil pressure . I can't hear the fuel pump go on either and the gas gauge says I'm empty but I just put like half a tank in . Idk if they're related or whatever

Well the solenoid coil is reading zero.. With the - side to battery - and the + side probing the little spade it doesn't read a single thing .. No matter what position the key is in

The voltage comes from the wire from the igntion barrel when in the start position only. The solenoid does not give voltage.

You need to test the wire from the ignition. But if you've already got it cranking this test is redundant.

You now need to look at spark - coil, dizzy module if it's got one (being an '85 it won't have the optical gear in it). Check the coil and replace if needed before going and replacing the module ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Redid the timing belt and it fired right up! But it dies unless I keep pumping the gas ha . Radiator has a hole in guessing cause it's running out of water fast and it's smoking and sizzling but can't really tell where from . I'm just pumped it fired up! Haha

• Like 1

Did you do the one crank rotation between fitting each belt? I didn't do this back when I was learning about these engines and while it ran, it wasn't much fun and didn't like to idle.

If you lined up the three marks and installed both belts, you'll need to line up the three marks and the cam mark, remove one belt and rotate the crank 360 degrees and reinstall the cam belt as per alignment procedure.

Then re-tune the timing ;) I know the hotwire AFM needs 20 deg BTDC static, I'm not sure if this is correct for the flapper AFM setup as I never played with these.

Cheers

Bennie

I did the rotation between the first and second belt . And how should I wire up the fuel pump? Cause right now it's wired from the + battery post to the + side of the pump(15amp circuit in between battery and pump on + side) and from the - battery post to the - side of the pump ha . Seems like it's drowning it or something idk