Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electronic Oddity, any in depth ideas?

Sorry, here is how i have done it on a car with a faulty fuel pump:

Seperate the top half and remove the filter if you want to try and add more spray to keep her running.

Remove intake tube, open throttle and give a healthy amount of spray, 2 seconds maybe.

Replace intake tube. Hop in hold the throttle to the floor and crank. She will run for maybe two seconds. You can add more spray to the front if you are quick enough but at idle a backfire is possible.

These cars do idle without the maf, just not very well.

This is just something i would do to verify that she does still run right and that it is indeed a fuel issue, not a timing issue.

Pissed off...

My wiring diagram as shown in the PDF download that one of the gentleman gave me does not show any pins whatsoever and spots 4241 and 40 have nothing 14 and 13 have nothing in them at all spots 68 and 94 have nothing...

What the heck?

How do I try all of these pins that I've been suggested if some of them do not exist in my PCM plug-in?

This is killing me the file is too big to upload I can't resize through my phone and this website won't allow a standard phone photograph to upload but I can tell you all of the pins on the back of the ECM that are missing wires Ordo just not used....

Which means the PDF file I downloaded all the hundred and forty four pages several of which do not affect my 95 Legacy Brighton at all and I just performed the carb cleaner spray test to no avail

Your ecu has a 2d sticker?

Here is the pinout i am using.

http://busaru.com/services/resources

And a little trick i used to make sure i had the right pin was to use pin 15 and 16 as a reference. They are both red with a yellow stripe and are in the corner so you can count subsequent pins. There are empty spaces in the harness so make sure you are counting carefully. This pdf has a decent wiring diagram that i can read easily on my phone...i know that having the wire color helps a lot!

Edited by sparkyboy

I am on my way now with the trailer to pick this damn car up and bring it back to the house and I will read all the stickers off of the computer and tell you what they say then I'll use my PC to downsize these pictures and I will put them on this post

If she won't run on combustible spray then you aren't getting spark or you may have to check to see if the timing belt is lined up. Or do a quick compression test, but that's kindof a pita too.

But do keep eliminating electrical faults, a lack of spark and fuel injector action points to either the main relay or the ecu to me ay least.

Oh yes I am well aware of that. I decided to change my angle of attack after changing the coil out yesterday and not getting any spark that was regular it did spark just not on every compression stroke so I'm going to go through wiring excetera but I'm also going to Ohm out my crank sensor and my cam sensor because since she won't run she won't set a code that I can read

Will do I have a working crank sensor and a working cam sensor both on its way to me from my friends running and driving car and the ironic thing is the crank sensor is the one that was originally out of my car LOL it's back at the house now and in all this rain and no bull crap I've been doing today I mean I get to any pictures or diagnosis is today

OK pics of ECM sticker.  Last pic is of the diagram as provided in a link from a PDF 3 days ago for the 95 Legacy...

Someone said check certain pins, and many of mine are blank where the positions of checking were supposed to happen, for instance the red constant power pin is near pin 46 to 48, I forgot and it's raining so I'm not going to go look at this time until something is cleared up, like the ID of my ECU....

Thanks for any suggestions before I go back out in the rain to OHM my cam and crank sensors...

post-70306-0-14476500-1515367850_thumb.jpeg

post-70306-0-30419700-1515367863_thumb.jpeg

post-70306-0-43746500-1515367876_thumb.jpeg

post-70306-0-50325400-1515367889_thumb.jpeg

post-70306-0-46063100-1515367900_thumb.jpeg

Wow! I can't believe those scans are both from fsms! If you look closely you can see in the second pinout the way that the harness is supposed to face, toward the ecu.
The numbers in the first one would be right if you took the harness off and flipped it around

That could be downright confusing haha!

Take a notepad and write down the color wires and pin# and function. It's easier to go by color sometimes at least for me.
Oddity indeed you called it for sure

post-61859-0-06270900-1515387431_thumb.jpegpost-61859-0-10498200-1515387862_thumb.png

Edited by sparkyboy

I am going to redo all the tests this morning along with putting my original crank sensor back into it and a new piece that mounts to the firewall right at the center and it says something like power fire or power train unit or something just for shits and giggles am adding that to it as well

I am going to redo all the tests this morning along with putting my original crank sensor back into it and a new piece that mounts to the firewall right at the center and it says something like power fire or power train unit or something just for shits and giggles am adding that to it as well

It's a 95 ECU. They are the only ones with gray connectors. Here's the pinout (took 30 seconds to find this with google):

http://busaru.com/attachments/article/116/1995%20Legacy%20Pinout.pdf

GD

OK....    Looking closely with glasses and a blown up photo, my 95 pins in the plastic clip where it presses into the ECM are numbered from bottom right to bottom left.  Bottom right being pin #1 stopping at the center space of the ECM at pin 14, then the center, then pin 15 left of center to pin 28 on the far left bottom.  the second row up from bottom right begins with pin 29 and goes up to pin 56...   The Lettered row of pins from my bottom first pin numbered 1 is letter D, with C B and A above it respectively....

Am I missing something here....?   I restore cars for a living, I do 99.7% of the restorations in house with zero employees but myself, so I have a spoob ton of patience...  Yet this subaru, which should be a 10 minute fix, is pushing all my patience buttons to get it on the road again, and I am undoubtedly getting far too deep into something simple, which I hope ALL YOU folks kick my rump roast for later as you laugh at my follies 8)  8).

I simply need to understand this pinning in this ECM first since I've gone this deep, I may as well understand it.  See my photo, look closely, my numbers physically do not match ANY of the diagram photos offered thus far

post-70306-0-34854400-1515434464_thumb.jpeg