Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Troubled gear shifting - Clutch disengagement or trans problem?

Hi guys,

91 Legacy 1.8 with 5spd Dual-Range MT (cable clutch) and 370.000km on the clock:

Clutch was done 20.000km ago incl. throwout and pilot bearing (all parts OE).

Yesterday within a 500km drive I noticed the gear shifts getting more difficult and suspected a problem with improper clutch disengagement.

I had checked the cable adjustment and it was fine but to be sure I had tightened it up a little more to the point of maximum possible clutch fork movement (fork touching a metal bracket sitting behind). 

Gearshifts were still difficult.

What is odd however is that putting it into reverse while the car is stationary is still going smooth. Only forward gears require to double clutch. Also with a gear engaged and the car standing still I can't notice the car crawling.

It may be imagination but I also feel the trans (probably input shaft bearing) got noisier within the past time. Can a bad trans bearing cause shifting difficulties similar to bad clutch disengagement?

I have a spare trans available in case.

Any idea folks?

Thank you

Georg

Edited by Georg

Replacing the bearings requires to split the case. I've never done it before but I guess if you replace only the roasted bearing it won't involve any rocket science.

However if I'll decide to repair it in future to have a spare trans again I'll replace all bearings and balk rings which probably will require some shimming.