Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys  :)

My 2010 Impreza 2.5 has worn struts/tops and control arm/rear suspension bushings. I plan on keeping the car for a few more years and would like to upgrade some components to OEM WRX or STI parts. I'm not interested in making it a track car or lowering it alot. I just want to replace the worn base model parts with something better that will make the car feel more sporty. It's a daily driver so it needs to maintain decent ride quality. Here are my ideas/questions:

• Replace front lower control arms / rear links. It seems this is easier than pressing them out and not too expensive. Not really interesting in upgrading to urethane.  
  • Replace factory shocks and springs with OEM equivalent  WRX or STI components. What are the differences in spring rates? Do they just swap in?
  • Once the worn components are replaced I would like to upgrade the sway bars too.

Group N rubber suspension parts would sorta be in between stock and urethane.

you might look around at NASIOC for some wrx take-offs. Folks upgrade and sometimes have low-use parts for sale.

I don't know any specifics but, best upgrade I think was my SPT springs on my WRX, about 3/4" lower, less squat and dive, better cornering..., so, maybe Subaru offered some for 2010?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Any detailed info on the difference in spring rate between base, WRX, and STI?

Up till about 2015, the STi spring rates weren't spectacular. 15+ STi's have fantastic suspension. Almost so good that you have to spend a LOT on coils to improve upon it significantly. We put $1800 Tein coils on a 2016 Hyperblue and although it lowered it, the handling and ride was frankly about the same.

KING springs are VERY nice and are our go-to for performance springs. 

If you can find some take-off 15-17 STi suspension would say get those. They will drop your car about an inch. Yes they fit the GR chassis. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

Up till about 2015, the STi spring rates weren't spectacular. 15+ STi's have fantastic suspension. Almost so good that you have to spend a LOT on coils to improve upon it significantly. We put $1800 Tein coils on a 2016 Hyperblue and although it lowered it, the handling and ride was frankly about the same.

KING springs are VERY nice and are our go-to for performance springs. 

If you can find some take-off 15-17 STi suspension would say get those. They will drop your car about an inch. Yes they fit the GR chassis. 

GD

awesome post !