Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 Subaru Impreza Overheating

I have an 06 subaru impreza 2.5i, on my way to work it has overheated twice while passing a bunch of factories.  I have used this route many times without this problem ever occurring before.  When I take alternate routes this does not occur and I have taken my car on longer drives with more hills and the temperature gauge does not move beyond the point just below half way to red.  When it overheats the heat still works and it just randomly shoots up to the red, I pull off to the side of the road, after about 30 seconds of sitting there it shoots right back down to normal.  Is this a sign that a part may be on its way out?  Is there anything in these large factories that may be somehow affecting the system?  Looking for some insight 

you must check inside the radiator itself (safely!) - don't trust the level in the overflow bottle to accurately reflect actual coolant volume.

unrelated to factories or anything external to the car EXCEPT, IF you have failing radiator fans, stop-&-go driving or waiting for trains, idling for long periods, etc. will cause overheating. But it;'s the failing fan that is the real issue.

DO NOT drive the car if it is regularly overheating - get it checked-out by an experienced Subaru mechanic.

• Like 1