Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'04 Outback no communication Computer to Scanner

2004 Outback, 2.5L, 140k miles, automatic AWD.  My scanner which I've used for years on this car suddenly won't connect to the car.  It flashed on and off a couple times then just went blank.  Same with car running, car off, key on, etc.  

I've also tested the scanner in my other car.... good to go.  So it must be in the OBD connector or something near the ECU itself.....  Can't remember if it's ECU (unit) or ECM (module) on the Subie. 

Right now, the car seems to be running fine...  just want to fix it for future diagnostics and make sure it's not a larger issue with the ECU...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

Yeah.. the scanner does not work in any operation mode on the car.   That had caused me trouble in diagnosing another problem.  The scanner has always worked before and connected just fine, so when the car quickly started running like crap last week, I popped on the scanner and it wasn't connecting....  I naturally connected those two issues in my mind and decided the ECU was toast.   Turned out it was the plugs or wires.   Car is running fine now, but still no connection to the computer with a scanner.

I was thinking about taking it to Subaru and seeing if they can scan it.  Advance uses the same scanner I use.

Yeah, like Faitax stated, a wire in the connector for the OBD port probably backed out. I've personally had this happen on a Ford and Saab, at different years. Easiest way to check is unscrew the OBD II port and let it hang. Look CLOSELY at all the crimps poking out the back. They should be in a straight line when looking left to right. Check both rows as it can happen to more than one wire. Talking a minute amount of the wire being backed out can cause this. Usually seems to happen from people inserting the reader plug at an angle.

Connect the reader with the obd port hanging, and any of the wires that appear to be "out of line" as viewed by their crimping, press it back in from behind. Reader should now work.

• Like 1

I think we might be onto something with the connector.... climbed under there and wiggled the wires a good bit while hooked up to the scanner... came on once and went back off.  

Problem is....  anyone know how to get the obd connector out of the bracket that holds it?  No screws.... looks like clips but I can't get it to release.  Can't find anything on YouTube.   Without dropping it I can't really see the wires at the back...

Thanks....   This is 03 Outback...  mounts thru a metal bracket attached to the dash framework, right behind the hood release....