Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Subaru Outback sounds like “reeds”

Have a listen here: 

I have been experiencing what seems to be a momentum dependent noise. I have attached an audio file to be referenced. This noise occurs at about 10mph+ and is noteable louder at freeway speeds. The noise fluctuates but haven’t quite been able to determine why. It gets quieter as I am decreasing in speed and almost pauses during each down shift of gear. It sounds like someone “supercharged” my car Tossed around idea of possible vacuum/air leak; however there is no noticeable reduction in car performance nor mileage. Currently, my car is showing code 420.. possibly cat related. Don’t think this would lead to such a noise though. I am no mechanic, in fact I know very little about cars. Just hoping someone could shed light to this matter before I lose my brain over this noise. Please help!! Thanks! -Jess

Edited by Tightlines
  • Like 2

Subaru's corrugated intake tubes can sometimes produce a loud "whistle" type sound under far open throttle acceleration.

More prominent on 90-96 models with fully tubular intake.  Newer models have the large rectangular box at eh back, but still can make a pretty good whistle at wide open throttle + high rpms.

no sound file attached :(

• Like 1

make certain the tabs in the intake filter top are properly inserted in the slots at the bottom.

on both my cars, the slot part is broken and I have to use zipties to secure the filter box - replacement part seems expensive.

it can make a 'whooshing' noise.

Subaru's corrugated intake tubes can sometimes produce a loud "whistle" type sound under far open throttle acceleration.

More prominent on 90-96 models with fully tubular intake.  Newer models have the large rectangular box at eh back, but still can make a pretty good whistle at wide open throttle + high rpms.

no sound file attached :(

I am new to this forum and can not figure out how to post an audio file. I transferred from my iPhone to Mac, so it's showing as a music file. I go to upload, but it doesn't show up in the forum. 

Heat shield vibrating, brakes dragging, valve clatter....

Narrow it down more.

Does it do it if you coast downhill in neutral at the same speed it would normally make it?

Does it change when you lightly touch the brake pedal or gas pedal or steering wheel leftnor right while making the noise?

What about inclination:grade - does that make a difference?

Left/right/center? Stand outside on the left and right of it while someone drives past you at 10mph.

Front center or rear?

Heat shield vibrating, brakes dragging, valve clatter....

Narrow it down more.

Does it do it if you coast downhill in neutral at the same speed it would normally make it?

Does it change when you lightly touch the brake pedal or gas pedal or steering wheel leftnor right while making the noise?

What about inclination:grade - does that make a difference?

Left/right/center? Stand outside on the left and right of it while someone drives past you at 10mph.

Front center or rear?

The noise will continue its rate/volume when car is placed in neutral. Sound does not alter when tapping breaks. Sound reduces in intensity upon slowing, and it truly follows speed. It will continue the same noise with slight turning of wheel to go around wide turns. Does not make noise upon sharp right or left turn, as I’m slowing below 10 mph. Grade doesn’t so much have a huge factor. It’s solely speed. Sounds like right front when sticking my head out passenger door. Edited by Tightlines

If you have four (good!) jackstands you can support the car with all four tires off the ground and put her in gear and have a friend hold the gas slightly down and you can hopefully pinpoint the source of the noise.

You say the noise goes away on downshifts?

Hard to say exactly but kinda sounds like a bad center carrier bearing on the driveshaft or possibly a loose or bent heat sheild dragging on the driveshaft.

Thought I would forward an update, as this has been quite an odd experience. Noise progressed into a "gravel" sound when reversing and moving forward under 10mph, then a loud screech, followed by was sounded like metal rubbing on metal. Upon getting off the freeway last friday (thank god), i was approaching a stoplight at about 15 mph, then suddenly felt a hard thump under my seat and heard a loud bang. Proceeded to move forward into the closest parking lot and the car began shaking violently. It sounded like a codswalloping chopper. Any way, long story short.. sound WAS drive shaft related. Sitting at subaru waiting to hear back. Likely a broken u-joint. So Sooberroo, congrats. I'd say you've got quite the ear! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post! I'm just an average female hoping to learn a few things about her car!

• Like 1

Let us know how it turns out! Hopefully it didn't destroy the tail housing on the trans.

Driveshaft is about $700 from Subaru but that's going to be the best option for a good quality replacement. Aftermarket parts can be hit or miss and just aren't worth the money. even if they potentially save some up front, you'll pay more in the long run.

Tightlines? Do you fish alot?

Let us know how it turns out! Hopefully it didn't destroy the tail housing on the trans.

Driveshaft is about $700 from Subaru but that's going to be the best option for a good quality replacement. Aftermarket parts can be hit or miss and just aren't worth the money. even if they potentially save some up front, you'll pay more in the long run.

Tightlines? Do you fish alot?

Currently waiting to hear from them regarding diagnostic, so I am uncertain at this point what exactly transpired. I believe they quoted the driveshaft at $550 :D At the moment I haven't fished much because of school. But, I'm newly learning fly fishing as of last year and I can't get enough of it. 

That's Awesome! Trout? Panfish? Bass?

I fly fished some when I was a kid and just sorta got back into it this fall. I say "sorta" because we've had a colder than usual winter and all the trout waters around here are frozen or they're dry because of the drought we've been in! Most of the lakes and ponds were frozen too a couple weeks ago. Starting to warm up though. I usually do most of my fishing for bass.

We have a fishing and hunting thread in off-topic, you can post pics of some of your catches!

That's Awesome! Trout? Panfish? Bass?

I fly fished some when I was a kid and just sorta got back into it this fall. I say "sorta" because we've had a colder than usual winter and all the trout waters around here are frozen or they're dry because of the drought we've been in! Most of the lakes and ponds were frozen too a couple weeks ago. Starting to warm up though. I usually do most of my fishing for bass.

We have a fishing and hunting thread in off-topic, you can post pics of some of your catches!

Well, so far it's strictly been trout and steelhead with the fly rod. Spin rod, I LOVE to fish for bass. Especially in the kayak. Nothing like getting ripped around on the water ;) Damn, sucks when it's too cold to fish. Where are you located? I'm in Northern California, it gets cold but not really enough to freeze us out. How do I find this fishing thread? Thanks!

Jealous! <--- :lol: I'm in Central VA. I'd love to fish for some of those Giant bass out in Cali. What yak do you have?

I've been looking at yaks since this last spring and was about to drop the money on a Predator a few months back until I heard about Bonafide kayaks. And since it was coming up on fall and my fishing time would be limited anyway I decided to wait and try out the SS127 when they get it in stock at Appomattox river co.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/149436-subaru-drivers-fishing-hunting-reports/page-3?do=findComment&comment=1373417

Edited by Fairtax4me