Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is 92 Lego 4wd Tranny the same as AWD

Hey all,

I picked up a 92 Lego 4wd with a bad auto tranny for a bill.  Should it not be the selenoids or if it's a bad pump, I'll be searching for another tranny. I might just replace the clutch pack and Duty C selenoid if the pressure is OK.

I'm finding little info about the early 90s 4wd transmissions.  When searching, do I just look for an AWD and expect some wiring re pins somewhere or do I need an actual 4wd transmission? Any idea of what changes might need to be made? Should I need a 4wd, and not find one, can the 92 be converted to AWD using an awd tranny? 

Also, any transmission up to 94 will be a direct plug and play so long as it's a 4.11 rear.  Any transmission 95- 99 or so, so long as it has a 4.11 rear end will work but the transmission plug ( I think gray one) will need to be re pinned to match the 92.  Is that right?

Thanks for the help guys.  I'm doing the Gambler500 in Oregon this year and I'll need it running by mid July.  Should be fun fun fun.

Edited by OR'sLonewolf
  • Like 3

90 to 98 are direct fit. 

What you want is a late 98 Outback model with the 4.444 ratio and matching rear diff (get rear axles too). 

GD

Thanks for the input.  I rather like that idea should I need a new tranny. I'll know tomorrow as I'll be testing out the solenoids.  I think the pressure solenoid might be stuck due to old oil and I know I'm getting a duty C code 24 which might need a clutch pack too.  If it's a no go, I very well might go this route........thanks for the input everyone.   This is my first Subie and first ever automatic toy.  There is that learning curve after all.  Between the car, the OB tranny and 98 Forrester struts.............this thing is becoming a Frankenstein.

Automatic 4EAT: 1990-1991 = 4.11; 1992-1994 = 3.90; 1995-1998 2.2 = 4.11; 1996-1998  = 4.44. 1991-1994 EJ22T / TURBO = 3.90.

I thought I read it was the manual 92 that had the 3.90 and the auto 4wd had the 4.11..........with so much info I've been reading, it's all like scrambled eggs upstairs.

Edited by OR'sLonewolf

It's tyhe same thing.

They called it "fulltime 4wd" for a while, and then swapped to the simpler AWD in later years.

All of them are the same even the connectors from 90-98 just gotta find the correct ratios.

>

Seems to make sense.  So, will a "4wd" still show signs of TB? I think it has LSD if my lack of coffee and reading comprehended correctly.  Also, I guess it's safe to say if I do find one with the right ratio, (I think it's 4.11 for the 4wd) and I use another year.........best to get the TCU as well I would think. ?  I found one in La Grande out of a 93 AWD. 

Edited by OR'sLonewolf

90 to 98 are direct fit. 

What you want is a late 98 Outback model with the 4.444 ratio and matching rear diff (get rear axles too). 

GD

Great to see so many Oregonians replying and on this forum.  Somehow, I"m not finding any 4.444 diffs and autos for OB but from later years like an 08 or so.  This is my first Subie and I feel like a lost sheep noob here.  Would it be safe to say I would have a lot of repinning on the ECU or TCU as my 92 is OBDI and can you help me understand what other parts I might need like brackets etc to pull this off should I consider this option.  I'm liking those gear ratio numbers for sure.   Do you know offhand of a thread that pulled this combo off as a guideline?  And....................are you doing the Gambler500 this year???  That is what I'm building this car for.  Never heard of it.......YouTube it.  Great fun!! 

Great to see so many Oregonians replying and on this forum.  Somehow, I"m not finding any 4.444 diffs and autos for OB but from later years like an 08 or so.  This is my first Subie and I feel like a lost sheep noob here.  Would it be safe to say I would have a lot of repinning on the ECU or TCU as my 92 is OBDI and can you help me understand what other parts I might need like brackets etc to pull this off should I consider this option.  I'm liking those gear ratio numbers for sure.   Do you know offhand of a thread that pulled this combo off as a guideline?  And....................are you doing the Gambler500 this year???  That is what I'm building this car for.  Never heard of it.......YouTube it.  Great fun!! 

Not just repinning.  The AWD control is different, uses 3 speed sensors, Different TPS signals, etc....

you must use a phase I trans.  90-98

If you want 4.44....(which you don't need, you'd be fine with another 4.11)  But if you want 4.44, get a trans from a 96-98 Automatic Legacy Outback (not-outback sport)  or from a 98 Forester.  

For 4.11 :  90-91 Legacy.  95-98 Legacy

Not just repinning.  The AWD control is different, uses 3 speed sensors, Different TPS signals, etc....

you must use a phase I trans.  90-98

If you want 4.44....(which you don't need, you'd be fine with another 4.11)  But if you want 4.44, get a trans from a 96-98 Automatic Legacy Outback (not-outback sport)  or from a 98 Forester.  

For 4.11 :  90-91 Legacy.  95-98 Legacy

Seems like a bit too much work to get the 4.444 rear and tranny to work for just a little more oomph.  I think if I just hard wire a "power switch" to get the power mode to be activated with just a toggle I should very well be fine with the higher RPMs. I think it is the pin 4 mod to switch then to ground mod.......can't remember.  Thanks for the reply.  Just for giggles maybe you would know.  Not doubting that the 92 might be a 3.9 tranny, but I could swear the FSM said the 4WD 92 was a 4.11.  Am I reading it wrong?  Thanks.

Seems like a bit too much work to get the 4.444 rear and tranny to work for just a little more oomph.  I think if I just hard wire a "power switch" to get the power mode to be activated with just a toggle I should very well be fine with the higher RPMs. I think it is the pin 4 mod to switch then to ground mod.......can't remember.  Thanks for the reply.  Just for giggles maybe you would know.  Not doubting that the 92 might be a 3.9 tranny, but I could swear the FSM said the 4WD 92 was a 4.11.  Am I reading it wrong?  Thanks.

92 MT is 4.11

92 AT is 3.9

92 MT is 4.11

92 AT is 3.9

Yeah,  The FSM I had showed that the GX model, I guess from Austrailia or something, had the 4.11 for autos (4wd) and 3.9 for MT.  Either way, I checked the tag not knowing it had one and it's a 3.9.  I'm aiming at a 95/96 AWD tranny with 130k on it and the 4.11 diff for $550 shipped and a 90 day warranty.  I'm playing it smart and getting the TCU from the same car too. 

Due to my lack of understanding of the car as of yet, I'm thinking the front diff matches the auto T and the rear diff..........in my case, being I have a rear Diff of 3.9 and will be switching it to 4.11....................don't I have to change the front diff as well to 4.11?  Or is it some sort of different system all together and all I need is the tranny with 4.11 rear diff from the 95.  I think all I need is just the tranny and rear 4.11 diff from what I am reading.  Thanks.

Edited by OR'sLonewolf