Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crank pulley/harmonic balancer problem?

Absolutely not.

Probably need to replace the crank pulley. But It could need either tightened in place or replaced or the crank sprocket needs replaced depending on what you mean by “moves out”.

Why are you looking in the first place? Most people don’t stare at their crank pulley for no reason. Noise, charging issues....?

By “Moves out” do you mean the entire pulley, it’s out of round, or the outer part the belt is on?

• Like 2

Absolutely not.

Probably need to replace the crank pulley. But It could need either tightened in place or replaced or the crank sprocket needs replaced depending on what you mean by “moves out”.

Why are you looking in the first place? Most people don’t stare at their crank pulley for no reason. Noise, charging issues....?

By “Moves out” do you mean the entire pulley, it’s out of round, or the outer part the belt is on?

ooohhh, excellent point! maybe he's caught a loose pulley before the bolt has backed-out !

some older instruction for torqueing the crank pulley listed a value that is too low - maybe it just needs to be tightened!

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 2 weeks later...

$435?

you got overcharged.

I literally just did the same job for a customer with an 06 Outback turbo.

Outer rim of pulley walked back into timing cover. also destroyed A/C clutch wiring.

Replaced center timing cover (new) a/c compressor (used) and pulley (used) for $350 TOTAL

It was only 1.5 hours to do it all.

Some people don't like used parts. You never know.

And labor rate changes depending on location. The rate at the shop I'm at is 115 an hour. And a brand new oem pulley is probably at least 250.

So, while I completely understand the amount you charged, you also don't work for a dealer. You have you're own business with people who trust you.

Some people just want to go to the dealer and not care (as much) about the cost

• Like 1

New pulley is $200 from Subaru. When they break we don't install used ones due to the obvious liability of having the exact same failure. I can't guarantee that it won't happen again with a used one and I warranty all my work..... Of course this means we *should* be recommending replacement at a certain interval but you just can't justify jacking up the price of the timing belt job when the failure rate is so low and no one else is telling their customers to replace it. But I'm not going to actually *sell* a customer a used one - that puts me on the hook for it being a good part. Nope. 

Depending on what else got damaged - belts, AC idler, possibly front timing cover, etc. It could get to $435 pretty easily. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

Over 10 years ago I spent $400 to get my failed harmonic balancer replaced at a local Indy shop only to blow a head gasket a few months later.   Being charged that much started my journey into a weekend warrior mechanic.  The last one I replaced cost me about $40