Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Subaru-only Magazine?

NEW 6/26: Sign-up for reports on the ongoing development of SUBIESPORT magazine. We'll let you know when we'll need cars submitted to be profiled, put out a call for writers and photographers, announce when you can sign up for a charter subscription, etc. Please tell everyone even mildly interested in seeing a Subaru-specific magazine to sign up!

http://www.drivingsports.com/subiesport/

My company is exploring the possibility of publishing a Subaru-specific magazine. I didn't see a 'general' forum, so decided to post in here. Please move if necessary. Currently, we're evaluating the following format for the magazine:

a) 64+ pages

B) Glossy stock, color printing throughout

c) bi-monthly (6 issues/year)

We'd appreciate feedback from Ultimate Subaru members on content, design, the name, and anything else you can think of.

ss.sample3.gif

Please note that *nothing* is finalized on this yet. Not the name (though we do own the URL), not the design. Final product could look completely different...or almost identical. This is for informational purposes only.

Your feedback (or lack of feedback) will help set the direction we take on this. I'll check in on this thread often.

Ryan Douthit, Director

Midnight Cafe Media

Publisher of Driving Sports Magazine

http://www.drivingsports.com

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are a lot of "unconventional" modifications around this board, i.e: withthere being no aftermarket for most of the ea series, it could have a lot of "car craft style" do it yourself lo-budget articles. some examples would be the 5spd conversions and turbo motors using carb short blocks, and ea82 motors in ea81 bodies, etc. a lot of the mods such as the 5spd conversions have been "standardized" and would make for goot tech-write ups or how-tos in the magazine

there is a lot of thechnology around here that has been pioneered by us board members, there needs to be a magazine that focuses on something other than late model big budget type stuff

I would get a subscription just cause Subies are neat! I vote for articles on old school Subes but, most of all I would like to see some articles on Subaru's little runt the Justy. These cars make excellent rally racers and / or tricked out sport tuners. (As you probably guessed, I have a few of these cars) In depth how to articles on any and all Subarus.. new, old, or just different would be great!

It would be nice to read a magazine that did not have a tricked out Honda product on every other page!

I look forward to the 1st issue.

My company is exploring the possibility of publishing a Subaru-specific magazine. I didn't see a 'general' forum, so decided to post in here. Please move if necessary. Currently, we're evaluating the following format for the magazine:

a) 64+ pages

B) Glossy stock, color printing throughout

c) bi-monthly (6 issues/year)

We'd appreciate feedback from Ultimate Subaru members on content, design, the name, and anything else you can think of.

ss.sample3.gif

Please note that *nothing* is finalized on this yet. Not the name (though we do own the URL), not the design. Final product could look completely different...or almost identical. This is for informational purposes only.

Your feedback (or lack of feedback) will help set the direction we take on this. I'll check in on this thread often.

Ryan Douthit, Director

Midnight Cafe Media

Publisher of Driving Sports Magazine

http://www.drivingsports.com

This would be great. I've been wanting to see something like this for years, every time I go into the store all I see is "other" import stuff. It would be nice to see what FHI is coming up with, and to have news thats new, not old hearsay stuff. But seeing how its only 64 pages, thers isnt going to be alot of room for extensive tech write ups. A couple of featured car right ups will be nice, in old, new and just released generations. Keep us informed :clap:

I think it is a good idea. We have always played second fiddle to all other imports as far as magazines have gone in the past. Reader rides would be a great addition as well as tech pages that include ALL generations of Subaru's.

Very cool idea for sure.

I would definately buy this! I'd also like to see the older generation subies represented as well as the new ones, would really be nice to see. Maybe even in the future upgrade to 12 issues instead of 6... This will be nice to finally have a magazine for *US* to go with the Honduh and Veedub mags...

I think that this is a great idea. In this forum, your going to get a lot of people who will want to see the older cars in your mag, mostly b/c thats what we all have. If you take this to the new generation forum, you'll see a stronger tie to the newer models obviously. They'll probably want a similar thing though, in the how-to write ups and tech pages... but they will want it for their cars, simple huamn nature.

I know that if this thing does come out, it will most likely be for the newer models, but with maybe one or two stories abotu older subes. I'd still subscribe, and I'm most positive that if you advertise it right, this will be a big hit. Subarus have a bigger folllowing than most people think.

Good luck and I hope to see it in newsstands soon!

I think that this is a great idea. In this forum, your going to get a lot of people who will want to see the older cars in your mag..

Agreed, I wanted your old-school opinions. I already posted into seven other Subaru-specific forums (from older Legacy to STi) and have been monitoring the responses all morning ;)

To say response has been positive so far would be an understatement.

--Ryan

I would also like to see this thing take off. I think that having a good balance of focus would be an asset to the magazine. As mentioned previously, this balance should be one of subject matter (tech and otherwise) as well as a balance of generations.

Yes, it is time for a Subaru performance magazine. I'm so tired of seeing 700hp Honda Civics and articles on how o add nitrous to your ricer.

I guess I'd consider myself "middle school" I love subarus of all ages and would lobe to see a mix. Sport Compact Car does the occasional write up on a pimped old Datsun 510 or something like that.

If you can provide a mix, that would be ideal. If it was just new era Subarus, I'd subscribe in a second.

Bring it on!!!

garner