Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Subaru-only Magazine?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES!!!!!! I think it would be a great idea. I didn't read all the other replys to this thread soo heres something I think would be cool to be featured. (A readers ride section duh) Off road subarus, old and new. Allow readers to send in photos from events such as pro/club/rallys and rally cross. And leave commentary or something cool like that. I hope that made sense. lol :cool: And obviously I would subscribe! :)

I will commit to purchase at least 2 subscriptions if and only if, it is focused more on old school Subarus. Anything after 1993 is too new, however, I definately would not mind an occasional article or two pertaining to new school Subarus because I love Subarus. I would like to grow with them (If I could afford it) but some kind of write ups comparing how far Subarus have come but yet, showing that they are still basically the same in design. Also, like previously mentioned, reader's rides, tech write-ups (In extreme detail with many pics), of course, a section where people write in with comments/suggestions (That's what keeps a mag going and people happy), parts locator ads, at LEAST one article detailing the history of every model (from the very first year), History of FHI (Fuji Heavy Industries) events calendars/maps, (This may bring us some businesses that are willing to give a USC member discount), representation of the hatch patrol and other such related groups in different areas (Giving people an idea of where to go for help/ideas,outings, etc) and DEFINATELY, it MUST HAVE a dedicated page to the USMB so that people will be able to get online and check us out and hopefully join. (Is a classifieds section too much to ask?) Need more ideas let me know, my head is like a volcano erupting with ideas right now. You got us all excited here, hope this isn't a cruel joke. There is a great following of Subaru nuts out there, many are quiet but believe me they are there. So, when do we get the final word? (Oh yeah, just a suggestion, take the impreza front end off of the cover and put a pic of a nice BRAT there (Subarubrat's?). Oooh, here's an article, "The Subarus that should have been" or how about a shootout "BRAT vs BAJA" I gotta stop.. I am not gonna be able to sleep tonight, it's gonna be idea after idea after idea.....

ok, ok, It's late where I am (1:40 am) and I didn't really look that well. All I saw was a newer front end and I guess I wrote impreza because that is the only damn Subaru that you ever see in/on a magazine. And yeah, a rag only about old school Subarus really won't take off as well as we hope because the old ones are ugly/rusty and most people don't restore them or have a following for them like an old VeeDub, But there are people out there. Most of them are here. But there has to be a hell of a better mix than these other magazines. I am SICK and TIRED of Hondas/Acuras/WRX's/Mustangs/Camaros being the only vehicles that you see in the magazines. Don't get me wrong, most are waaaay cool and I have much respect for the people that customized/restored them but after a while, they all look the same. People buy the same body kits/wheels, have the same paint schemes etc...Here (Old school Suby land) none of our cars look alike (Unless they are all rusted) and everything that has been done to them is totally custom. Not a kit that you can buy, get my point. Many props to the people that have taken the chance to try something new, or have figured out a better way, or customized there rides etc.. These are the people that should be featured. This is what gets a reader's attention. This is what keeps them reading, gets them interested in Subarus. Just think of all of the modifications that people have come up with so far. Who would have EVER thought? How many times have you heard people laugh at a Subaru or say "it can't be done" It has been and still is being done. More and more, We are growing. For example: When someone sees a BRAT they may wonder what the heck it even is! Then they may see another that is lifted, painted, all done up etc.. and say, Damn! That's really cool, I want one, so they go out and buy a BRAT or a hatch or whatever and visit the board and it's all history from there. Or when the Jeep guy is embarrassed by the Hatch Patrol. What do you think he is thinking, or his friends. The more we put ourselves out there, the bigger the following will be. VW squarebacks weren't always cool, but then someone started fixing them up and modifying them etc, then there was a greater following. Now look at them. We can and are doing it. It has to start somewhere. I wonder how many people stopped to check out the Subarus at Carlisle. I wonder how many went home and said how cool they were, or how many people saw Scott's big blue monster and will want to do the same. Who knows? It's happening, slowly but surely. Anyway, I don't know where I am going with this and I think I got off track (I apologize to the originator of the post) so I need to get to bed. It's now like 2 am. Goodnight.

I like the idea of this. I've always thought that we needed a magazine for quite some time, and tried to get one off the ground for a while (couldn't find the backing though). While we do have the USMB, there are (believe it or not), A LOT of people that are just as crazy about Soobs as us that don't have the internet, or computers. Specially here in Southern Oregon. And I really think that some of the people, if they passed a mag with Scotts Brat on the cover of it, would prolly try and get on the net, or at least attend a club function or whot not. I other words I think that it could increase our numbers, who knows, WCSS-X might have a couple thousand attendee's with the help of a magazine!! I better go before I start rambling too much. I say go for it. (Need any writers?)

usually anyone who buys a new subaru has always had a subaru. there are a lot of people who are fanatical about subarus, but they dont know about eachother. i will bet you a subscription that if you go to walmart or wherever and see someone getting in/out their soob, they will be like "yeah, i love these things, i used to have brat and i loved it" or "this is my 5th one" something similar.

so if some peole dont have an older soob at the moment, im sure they remember them well!

look around this forum and that will give you plenty of representation for what SHOULD be in a subaru magazine

I think that the magazine would satisfy everyone if it was split 50% for 1990 and older and 50% of 1991 and newer. I think it would be a waste of my time to have a rag that is even 80% new school and 20% old school because my Dad has a WRX and I've read most of the stuff thats out there for them. I want to read somthing that pertains to the car I drive, not the new stuff and an occasional paragraph or two about a brat or GL.

i'm up for several subscriptions. one for me my dad and a friend of the family.

but i'd definately say try to split it somewhere in the middle close to 50/50. a lot of the newer gen owners don't even know what we do to these older cars. it'd be nice to get some recognition. and definately do some highlights on customized or restored on and off road older subies. or even some of the newer ones that have been lifted. if you guys start a reader's ride section i bet you you will have 100's to 1000's of photo's being submitted! i know i'll send a ton in. especially if you can use digital pictures. that's mainly what i got.

it'd be nice to have a small offroad section too. get it out to the world the offroad capbility of these rigs. articles and how to's for offroad performance and definately off road trip articles!! trust me you'd never be in short supply. new designs and modifications for our rigs is constant and growing quick. samurai's used to be sneered at too... now look at them. they got some recognition, organized and multiplied!

i'd always love to read what's new for subaru too! and what their future looks like and their plans. along with newer car mods too.

i think in a very quick and short time 60 something pages will be too little :D

but go for it!! we've needed this for years!

sorry i'm an offroad and suby nutcase..... my website proves it... check it out it'll show you some good offroad pitures.

Semper Fi!!

Jared