Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LOL  Thanks for the good laugh this morning.  Actually I should thank your dealership.  The problem is that some nomnuts will drain your CVT instead of your oil pan.  Or they won't use a new compression gasket.  Or they will over torque the drain plug.

I change my oil in my driveway.  Of course, for a lot of people live in apartments and can't change their own oil.  It is kind of scary to have it changed at someplace like Walmart.  I can't deny that.  You could eliminate most of the problem by telling the manager that you need to show the mechanic before he starts.   Boy, I'll bet they would love your for that!

Just for the record, I reuse the compression gasket often, and I put as much force as I can with a 8/9" wrench, and I add a couple of jecks even after it's full tight.  I never have had a problem.

• Like 1

You do not NEED to go back to the dealer for anything except free warranty work.

The issue is, as mikec03 said. Quick lube places as well as chain shops can very easily mess up services.

The best thing you can do is find a GOOD independent Subaru shop and go there for everything.

And in my opinion and experience, if you don't replace that crush gasket every service, they will leak. But I don't go crazy tight. Just as tight as needed.

As Mikeec03 stated, the crush washer used on the oil pan drain bolt can be re-used multiple times. I have always changed my oil, so am confident on this subject. Crush washers can be purchased at the dealership parts department for little money, if and when needed.

I, too am not confident that the oil change guys at Walmart can be trusted. They don't hire the smartest people at Walmart, so be aware they can make mistakes.

The oil changes shops do a decent oil change, but always try to sell you things you don't want or need, like new wiper blades, or air cleaner filter. I usually tell them I am going to be trading in the car, and don't want to put any money into it. That gets them off my back. Well, saying this is true, but in reality, I won't be trading in the car for another 5 or 6 years, so it is not telling a lie.

you can have it changed anywhere but you should favor a shop that does great work. i'd pay more for a good shop than just bargain hop. it's a cheap way to maintain a good relationship.

i get tires from a place because they're a good business. it costs me more but i've got a relationship with a long term, well run establishment where i know most of the staff. it's worth the additional cost and it's worth considering that option for oil changes as well.

And in my opinion and experience, if you don't replace that crush gasket every service, they will leak. But I don't go crazy tight. Just as tight as needed.

i've seen aftermarkets leak before the first oil change, but I routinely put 50,000 and 100,000 miles on the same *OEM Subaru* crush washer and never replace them. but that's not the topic here, there's no reason not too and you should always replace it for sure. Edited by idosubaru

We replace the crush washer with a new copper one every time. Cost less than 1/3 of the dealer unit and just as effective in my experience. Not that its a great savings but we buy them in bulk. The dealer ones come in little plastic bags one at a time - takes forever to unwrap them all. We buy them in boxes of 50. Time is money and fiddling with 50 little baggies.... 

GD

• Like 1

The copper washers are even reusable indefinitely, if you anneal them between uses, that is.

Used to do that on airplane spark plug changes on small piston powered aircraft.  Now we just toss the $1,000 +igniter with the gasket in the trash for jet engines. 

http://www.skygeek.com/champion-ch34630-igniter.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_content=champion-ch34630-igniter&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpMmG-rCF2QIVj4zICh2tewouEAkYCSABEgLD6fD_BwE

Edited by Mike104

+1 for replacing the washer every time. I've got better things to worry about than a washer that costs so little.

To the op, the dealer is partly right. There are still places that screw up an oil change. I still see one, sometimes two cars a year that come in with 10 quarts of oil in the engine and a slipping transmission. I've even seen the t70 torx plug for the front diff chiseled loose (thinking it was the engine oil drain plug.) I wish I knew what people were thinking sometimes.

The copper washers are even reusable indefinitely, if you anneal them between uses, that is.

Agree have  never ever replaced one of these.

Also     agree the problem is that the drain plugs are over tightened and crush the washers. 

- it's only a drain plug and only needs to be nipped tight with a ring spanner holding it in the middle.

-Not a socket and bar / torque wrench

Edited by subnz

To the op, the dealer is partly right. There are still places that screw up an oil change. I still see one, sometimes two cars a year that come in with 10 quarts of oil in the engine and a slipping transmission. I've even seen the t70 torx plug for the front diff chiseled loose (thinking it was the engine oil drain plug.) I wish I knew what people were thinking sometimes.

I'm a newbie here and to a Subaru.  Been changing my oil for many many

years and with the plastic shroud under my Forester, I actually looked

in the owners manual for the oil filter location.  If you follow the

manual it points you to the oil filter and the transmission drain plug! 

It didn't look right to me so I looked further and found the real

engine oil drain plug about a foot away from where the manual states. 

Maybe that's why so many drain the tranny?

If you follow the

manual it points you to the oil filter and the transmission drain plug!

engine oil drain plug about a foot away from where the manual states.

Maybe that's why so many drain the tranny?

are you sure?

But it’s doubtful, most don’t look at the manual. if it were true then it would happen more to vehicles with confusing manuals and not to others. I don’t think that distinction is happening.

are you sure?

But it’s doubtful, most don’t look at the manual. if it were true then it would happen more to vehicles with confusing manuals and not to others. I don’t think that distinction is happening.

I looked again.  It's less than 1 foot away but you can't see it from where the book tells you to look through a little panel comes off of the big panel underneath.