Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all!

I have a 1984 VW T3 (vanagon, T25) with an ej22 swap. There has always been this niggling issue with it occasionally cutting out immediately after coming off the throttle. It idles smoothly and runs well otherwise. There is no real effort to keep running, the revs just drop to zero after coming off the throttle and the dash lights come on. It starts up straight away afterwards.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

• Like 3

If you have an obd1 phase one ej22 (90-94) I understand that stalling when coasting to a stop can be due to the vehicle speed sensor not being hooked into anything.

I have a later phase one (95 and 96, obd2) with the vss not hooked into anything and I don't seem to have that issue

• Like 1

Hi all!

I have a 1984 VW T3 (vanagon, T25) with an ej22 swap. There has always been this niggling issue with it occasionally cutting out immediately after coming off the throttle. It idles smoothly and runs well otherwise. There is no real effort to keep running, the revs just drop to zero after coming off the throttle and the dash lights come on. It starts up straight away afterwards.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Idle Air Control Valve - easiest test is to just swap in another used one for cheap if you have them readily available.  Alternately here are your options:

1. make sure it's properly hooked up

2. clean it insitu  (some styles don't really have this option)

3. remove it and clean it

4.  replace with a used one

5.  replace with a new one

• Like 1

The reason it stalls is because it's in deceleration fuel cut mode. When you are coasting to a stop under engine braking, it shuts off all fuel. When you push the clutch in, the ECU doesn't have warning to switch back to idle fueling and the engine stalls before it can catch it. On the 90-94 cars there's a clutch switch that tells the ECU the engines getting disengaged from the drivetrain. On the 95+ cars it uses the VSS signal to know it's coming to a stop.