Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2014 Intermitent Power Failure at Center Console

ConGon

Any Help Appreciated - Stumped.

2014 Crosstrek XV - overall, great car.  But every now and then center console goes dead.  No Radio, no clock.  Time resets to 12:00 and all radio presets are lost.  If driving while this occurs then engine functions normally.  But, if the problem occurs while in the driveway then the fob won't unlock the car and bypassing with the key sets off the alarm.  Wait long enough and the problem goes away.  Does not appear to be related to whether the car is moving or idle.  No relation to outside temperature.  Dealer can not reproduce the problem.  Any ideas?

• Like 2

Pull the fuse and check/reseat it. Next time it cuts off check the voltage across the fuse for the radio/clock.

Subarus rarely have electrical issues.

1. Any aftermarket components at all - stereo, remote starter, lights...?

2. Any dealer add ons over stock?

3. Have you had any rodent issues - mice or chipmunks or a food source in the vehicle (kids, pets...)

Is there anything the keyless and center console have in common? Do they share the same fuse - check your owners manual or fuse panel lid.

Re: 2017 Forester....While driving on highway, in cruise control mode, car just shuts down with no warning lights or sounds. The steering doesn’t lock up, and I’m able to pull off to the side of the road and put it into park and turn off the key. I waited just a few minutes, maybe 2-3 and started it back up. There was no effort on the part of the engine to start back up. I got back into traffic and pulled off at the next exit, which wasn’t far away. I turned the car off thinking it might just need to cool down. Not the case. I got back on the highway and continued on with my 400 mile journey.

I took it into my dealer in Santa Fe, they kept it and said they ran many tests. They kept the car for about 4 days and drove it trying to reproduce the power failure. Nothing happened while they ran their tests.

The problem didn’t reoccur for the next week of continuous driving. Maybe a week later I started the car again with my remote starter and got on the highway, turned on the cruise control and drove. Again, at no specific time of the drive, or mileage traveled, the car stopped running in much the same way as the first power loss.

• 3 years later...