Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 outback cranks but won't start

2000 outback (automatic, 230,000 miles) broke down on me in last July. 

Looked under the hood and the crankshaft pulley was dangling/had basically fallen off. We replaced the balancer, bolt, and woodruff key but the car wouldn't start. Replaced the timing belt and even bought a timing belt guide (sits above the crankshaft sprocket). Cranks but won't start; backfires. We checked all the relays and even replaced the coil pack. Timing is fine, and fuel is getting in. Gonna check for spark tomorrow. 

For a little history, before she broke down she was throwing the following codes:

P0420 (catalyst efficiency below normal -bank 1)

P0122 (throttle position sensor circuit low input)

P0731 (gear 1 incorrect ratio)

P0440 (EVAP system performance)

I can't find the paper now, but I also seem to remember an additional code for a cylinder misfire. Before breaking down, I was frequently having the following problem: at around 70mph, the AT temp light would flash and I would lose RPMs and lose acceleration, causing me to pull over and turn the car off for several minutes. 

Reincarnation in ABQ said they "fixed" this problem by replacing the Transmission Control Module. however, the issue persisted occasionally and was never really solved.

Any suggestions besides checking for spark? Anyone experienced similar issues with AT light and losing RPMs/acceleration?

• Like 1

Probably have bent valves. That's an interference engine and if the crankshaft pulley came loose there's a chance the timing belt jumped, or if you had the timing belt off, you could be using the wrong marks to set the timing. Backfiring indicates a timing or valve problem.

None of the codes you have will prevent starting.

Same thought on the valves.  You'll need a compression gauge with extension hose that screws into the spark plug hole.  Waiting for your readings.  A physical way to check for bent intake valves is to remove a VC and when rotating the motor - - the intakes will have absurdly large slack since those valves are not seating.

1. Check timing belt alignment and that you used the proper marks. People use the wrong crank mark frequently.

2. Did you replace the correct crank sprocket? There are two style crank sprockets that can be installed in 2000 EJ engines. If you installed the other kind it wouldn’t start due to trigger mark variation.

3. Trans - change the quarter million mile fluid first and check for a damaged/dented trans pan. Install the FWD fuse just to see if that changes how it drives.

• Like 1