Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi to all to those that might know about my $200 Lego project car and others.

The tranny needs replacing.  I sourced a 96 AWD Tranny with 130k miles as well as the 4.11 matching diff and the ECU from same vehicle for replacement into my 4wd 92 Lego wagon 3" lift project.

Will it be a direct swap of the diff into the 92 or will braces etc need to be taken from the 96 donor for it to work on the 92. 

Can someone please share with me the problems I might run into along the way of said swap out with either the transmission or Diff?  I haven't even looked back there yet to know the differences.....dropping the trans tomorrow just preparing trying to keep myself from problems of course.

Thanks to all that have replied in the past and now.  4 months and counting until the Gambler500 in OR.

Edited by OR'sLonewolf

you will need to use a set of 95+ rear axles to use the 96 rear diff.  95 + diffs have internal engagement, with axles that have stubs that go into the diff.

OR alternately you could swap the ring gear onto the 92 carrier and keep the diff's external stubs that way.

• Like 1

you will need to use a set of 95+ rear axles to use the 96 rear diff.  95 + diffs have internal engagement, with axles that have stubs that go into the diff.

OR alternately you could swap the ring gear onto the 92 carrier and keep the diff's external stubs that way.

Thanks for the heads up on that one.  It will leave me some options.  I'm getting mixed answers about the 95 tranny into the 92.  I can see it is OBD II.........can't seem to find any wiring pin out DIY info.  Any thoughts?

Be prepared to swap the pinion flange too. They changed to a larger bolt pattern for the driveshaft somewhere in the mid 90s.

Safe to say I can take off the pinion flange from the 92 and put it on the 95 4.11 carrier? or?  I've worked on engines, but not tranny's and rear diff stuff so I'm a total loss here.