Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just joined! 2.6.2018

Aloha everyone!

I would like to introduce myself:

My name is Preston. Born and raised in Hawaii. I own two Subaru Brat's; a 1979 DL & a 1986 GL. By the way, if anyone from Hawaii specifically the "Big Island" is reading this I would love to hear from you! I haven't stumbled upon any other Brat's on the island whether it be driving around the island or visiting classic car shows. Many new generation Subaru's but very little older generation Subaru's. Maybe they have all rusted away? Maybe not very many made it over to Hawaii? Who knows?

Heh. Anyway, my love for Subaru's started not too long ago. I'd say maybe two to three years ago? There was a 1986 Subaru Brat for sale about 5-10 minutes away from me that I stumbled upon on Craigslist. I glanced over it once and thought to myself "Wow, that's a pretty cool looking vehicle" 4 wheel drive? No way! Would be a perfect car in Hawaii though as all the cool beaches and surf sports you need 4 wheel drive to get to. Anyway, I glanced at it and noticed the price was for a 1,000 dollars. Needless to say I passed. At the time it was way too much money for me to be spending and the ad had stated it was "Ridden hard and put away wet. It is worn out. It has rust, it leaks but it runs" big turn off for me especially for 1,000 dollars. Two weeks passed by and the price dropped to $500. I figured why not take a look at it? Called the guy up, grabbed a friend and we were off to check this Brat out. I immediately fell for it. My friend who worked on cars was like "This rust isn't too bad at all. You could totally save this. Doesn't your Auntie and Uncle weld?" His comments made the want for this vehicle grow even more. I ended up picking up this Brat up a few days later but not for $500, for $250. The guy selling the Brat was using it the day I was supposed to pick it up and the clutch cable snapped. He told me "You help fix the clutch cable and you can drive it off for $250" Me not having worked on cars in my life said "Sure, I'll take you up on that" and that's pretty much where my love for Subaru's and working on cars started. 

Being in Hawaii, finding parts are tough so I have to find everything online. I am constantly looking thru eBay and Craigslist. As with projects you'll need parts and they are very hard to come by for me. @SUBARU3 mentioned this website and thanks to him I'm apart of this awesome community. It's 1:16 AM here and I'm looking thru everything on here. The endless knowledge on here is amazing! I'll be be posting shortly on things I need to complete some of my Brat's and I hope some of you can help out. I would love to extend this but you probably don't want to read it and my girlfriend is getting mad at me for not being in bed yet! Lol! I'm out for now! Thanks!

Edited by HawaiiBrat
  • Like 3

Is that the original paint? Crazy sharp. that thing has to spend some of its life on the east side of the island?

The snorkeling and lava flows were fantastic bIf we go back maybe I’ll see a brat too!

It's not. It's alright. Only a single stage. I do plan on getting it repainted though. It spends most of its life in the mountains. While there is rust it's very little. I've been doing my best to prevent all of it. Hey if you ever come back to the Big Island let me know and you can check it out!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome aboard! This is my Subaru Ferret, the only Subaru Ferret in the world! Ferret would have been an apt name for the BRAT.

I had a ferret and that little critter would get into the tightest places! This is my 4th...ran the previous 3 into the ground on my farm, hauling workers and equipment all over. It wasn't a work horse like a Toyota F-150...it was more like a work lama. When I drive it around, it turns heads! Took it over to Subaru for servicing, and it never fails...their employees come out to oogle it!

Hawaii would be a great place for a Brat. When I need parts, the members here are always glad to help out.

post-55112-0-96334900-1519432843_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...