Ultimate Subaru Message Board

parked the 89 GL and she wouldnt start the next morning :\

Hey guys, been having some issues pinpointing why my Fuel injected 1.8 wont start. She was my daily and i parked her after getting home from work and the next mornig i was getting a dry crank. getting fuel getting power to the coil but not out to the distributor. And the air filter is brand new (also cleaned the air sensor). Bought two brand new coils and both had the same issue (power in but no power out even while cranking). Ive heard to check the ECM or the coil. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. pic of my poor baby :/

post-70105-0-89126700-1517957835_thumb.jpg

post-70105-0-15619400-1517957846_thumb.jpg

Edited by GLoryHoles

could be the sensor in the distributor, under the metal plate attached by 2 phillip screws is a metal disk with holes all around and a sensor attached to it, check to see if that sensor is fully plugged in, which the plug is located about 5 inches down the wire away from the distributor, white 4 wire plug if i remember correctly, try cleaning it.

not to let your hopes down or anything but this exact reason is why i gave up on my 1989 GL-10. no spark issue so i went even further and messed with the wires so much that returning things where they belonged was impossible, looked for wiring diagrams and apparently 1989 and 1990 models are a mess with half year stuff and such, just becareful on what you re-wire. Best of Luck!

Thanks @subarsaurus! For everything (79 wagon;)). Haven’t had any time to wrench on the 89 just yet. I will get at it after work every day. Still need to test out that ecm, though it got wet because I had it on the floor board and there was a small hole on the floorboards letting water in when you hit puddles. But I noticed it pretty fast and took her home and kept her in some rice... I can’t end up with another non running Subaru so if it gets to the point that I’m tearing into the wiring I’ll just ej swap it with a cheap 2.2. You should do the same with your poor wagons in the back yard!

i should of, but i didn't unfortunately, its okay though, and that ECM should be fine if it got alittle wet, its enclosed anyways, rice would definetly guarantee it though. hope you get the wagon going and not let it die like the rest in my backyard, 2.2 is definetly an awesome alternative.  enjoy the 79 wagon! i still miss it, take care of her!

I like how you use the word 'just'EJ22 it. You reckon you will learn more by EJing it than you would troubleshooting the EA82?

I do :evil:

'just' fix what you have for starters

there are flow charts to follow in factory manuals

many of us have them and likely refer to them to help you

have you checked to see dizzy rotor spins in case timing belt just buggered up as you stopped. happened to me once in a Mitsu Cordia turbo, just as I stopped, balance shaft belt broke

How what when was the maf cleaned?

Edited by jono