Ultimate Subaru Message Board

‘86 Brat Fuel Tank Search

Hi - just purchased an 1986 Brat and need to find a replacement fuel tank as the existing one is in pretty poor internal condition.

I’ve trawled the internet looking for a replacement but come up short handed.

Also wondering if the fuel tank of an 1986 Brumby (Australia) would be the same as the 1986 Brat (USA), as a last option.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Nick

I just saw your other post about the lift, if you're going to be doing a full round of drivetrain drop brackets you can use a 2wd fuel tank as well. A 3" drop of the rear suspension components gives enough clearance for the differential to clear the 2wd tanks. These days it may not make a tank much easier to find, but it opens up the possibility to the whole line of ea81 body styles.

• Like 2

I just saw your other post about the lift, if you're going to be doing a full round of drivetrain drop brackets you can use a 2wd fuel tank as well. A 3" drop of the rear suspension components gives enough clearance for the differential to clear the 2wd tanks. These days it may not make a tank much easier to find, but it opens up the possibility to the whole line of ea81 body styles.

That is super helpful as the brat version is proving a tough find (no shock). Many thanks again.

IIRC, ea81 tanks all have the clearance for rear diff, even the 2wd.

• Like 1

Honestly a good radiator repair shop can fix it - I recently had no choice but to repair a 1989 Sterling fuel tank that had sat undriven since 1998 (17,000 original miles) and looked like the inside of the titanic. You can't buy them, and these cars were sold in very small numbers so used isn't a viable option - they are all crushed or in the same condition. The shop charged me a (very reasonable) $320. They removed several sections of the tank, media blasted it, repaired all leaks, sealed, and painted the tank for me - also replaced the roll-over-valve with a generic valve/bung combo. All this for only $320 is a steal and now that the tank is epoxy lined it can't ever corrode inside again. 

GD

They were a built on a shared chassis with the Acura Legend.

Correct - sort of. Rover/Sterling changed a LOT of things. One of those is the fuel tank. It's 1 gallon smaller than the Legend. In any case I couldn't find a viable Legend tank to attempt fitment anyway. It becomes a time vs. money proposition and ultimately *maybe* I could have found a Legend tank with a more exhaustive search, and *maybe* it would fit. But the cost of purchase + shipping, and then the risk..... not worth it. Just sent it to Mac's Radiator and it came back better than new. 

It's not badge engineering unfortunately. The entire body, interior, electrical system, and most of the ancillary mechanical components are Rover. Basically Honda supplied the engine, trans, and some of the other chassis/suspension components. Even the drive axles are different. Radiator, HVAC system, etc. It's more like they took a Rover chassis and engine/trans swapped it with Honda parts. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly a good radiator repair shop can fix it - I recently had no choice but to repair a 1989 Sterling fuel tank that had sat undriven since 1998 (17,000 original miles) and looked like the inside of the titanic. You can't buy them, and these cars were sold in very small numbers so used isn't a viable option - they are all crushed or in the same condition. The shop charged me a (very reasonable) $320. They removed several sections of the tank, media blasted it, repaired all leaks, sealed, and painted the tank for me - also replaced the roll-over-valve with a generic valve/bung combo. All this for only $320 is a steal and now that the tank is epoxy lined it can't ever corrode inside again. 

GD

This is really helpful. I’ve found a tank and it is in transit from East Coast now so will take your advice and follow your process. Cheers

NipperOZ,

I have a tank from a 85 GL brat if your interested.  It is used, clean inside with mild surface rust on the outside.

Thanks

Thunderu 

Thanks Thunderu - I found one on the East Coast and it has been shipped but hasn’t arrived yet. Let me see how it is when it arrives and if not worth repairing I will come back to you. Cheers