Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok I have a 96 legacy and it's an automatic .. Which IMO! is like slapping God in the face.. Anyways I'll probably end up selling it and just buying another simular model and year but with a manual transmission that came stock or is already swapped .... BUT for sake of I don't choose the easiest and or most logical option most the time, here's my question . What subaru can I grab a MT from thats going to be the easiest and least complicated to stick in my current 96 No fun mobile ? Is there a specific one that just bolts right up and has little to no wiring harness mods or what have you? .. Ps I'm not broke but I'm not wealthy . Thanks a million in advance . You guys have really helped me more than I can express gratitude for via post ha .

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure you can grab most manual transmission from the 90s and maybe a few from the 00s.

You need the matching rear diff, and possibly the axles. Drive shaft flywheel clutch etc (or get new)

As for wiring, they're all the same. Reverse lights, and if you want the neutral safety to work correctly. You'll have to wire in a relay for the starter (at least that's what I ended up doing)

Edited by golucky66

The automatic is more reliable, less maintenance, gets the same economy, and it's computer is light-years ahead of the manual in terms of traction control. 

If you just like playing with sticks - I get it. Johnson Rod's can make fun toys. But don't denegrate the auto - it's an EXCELLENT transmission. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

you will hate the manual AWD trans first time you got one wheel spinning in deep snow and can't go anywhere.  Doesn't matter front or back, one wheel spinning = done with a standard AWD  (DCCD 6 speed and modified/heavy duty vsld setups excluded))

The 4EAT (auto) will walk you out as long as you"ve got 2 wheels at an either end with grip.  And will crawl better over rough steep terrain too.

Whole car is easiest. Trans, flywheel, rear driveshaft, pedal assembly, linkages and shifter. Wire in reverse lights and ECU identifier pin. Been talked about and done a zillion times you can search for details.

Center console to clean up interior and instrument cluster are ideal. Cruise computer if you want that to work.

+1. MTs, particularly converting to one are a slap in your own face. Less reliable, more costly, harder to find, more maintenance, more expensive, with almost no redeeming quality except in the head which we all have weak spots for. And you can pop the clutch on a dead battery that is nifty. needing a tiny little stick to move around for fun or an ego boost....you can do better than that! Play a video game while driving.

• Like 1

I enjoy driving with a MTover auto trans by like a million. Purly based on what i enjoy more and not what's more reliable fuel efficient or whatever else ha

I'm not knocking the transmission or any other part of my legacy by any means . Its just not nearly as fun to drive is all. IMO of course, gentlemen.

It's a 96 Legacy. They have approximately.... zero HP. Closer to zero than a "fun" car is to 500 anyway. It's not going to be "fun" no matter what you put in there, unless what you put in there includes about 15 lbs of boost. Then it may approach what we now consider to be "useful commuter" status - that is enough power to not get run over on the interstate.

GD

I started out this time last year with no car at all due to a first time driving in snow incident then my next car getting stolen in the first week of living here just about the same time as my living situation fell through ... All in a town and state where I didn't know literally anyone.. Now I have 3 running subarus .. A 2008 Polaris ranger 700 xp and a sick camper all sitting at my house .. That backs up to the Applegate river . 96 legacy is a zero hp no fun stepping stone my friend .. Compared to cold and homeless .. Its a world of fun.. Compared to what I'll have by the end of summer .. Its not even worth mentioning Aaaaand there's my novel for everyone to probably not read ha .

ATs are for the birds.  MT all day.

Tell that to all the drag racers running powerglides with 3000 to 5000 HP in front of them. 

I like a manual as much as the next guy - STi's wouldn't be the same without their 6 speed. But auto's have their place. The military uses exclusively automatics - because they are more reliable, less maintenance, less training, and can be driven easier by a wounded soldier. 

GD

That very last statement "...by a wounded..." is the only reason we have an AT in our fleet of eight vehicles (Well, the EA81T hardtop is still AT, but not for long).  Two dislocated shoulders and one ruptured ACL in the last 5 years has proven this to be a necessary evil.

Also, this 10,000 hp top fuel dragster uses a 5-disc clutch and direct drive.  ATs eat power and when your margin of victory is sometimes in the ten-thousandths of a second, every horse counts:  http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3161?Nerds-Eye-View--Inside-10000-horsepower-Part-2.aspx

Edited by carfreak85

Yeah - but top fuel doesn't use transmissions - they just use clutches. That's not exactly comparable. There's no gears, thus no gear shift, thus the whole argument about them being more "fun" is really kind of baseless. Most people would not have much fun in a top fuel car. Mostly they would scream in fear like a little girl. 

The guy's running the 'glide are street legal. 

GD

Make the auto fun. Watch the opposite light at an intersection, when it goes yellow stand on your brakes with your left foot and floor the gas with your right with the trans in D. The engine will hit stall speed on the torque converter and when your light goes green you sidestep off the brake pedal. There weren't many commuter cars that could holeshot as quick as an old outback 2.5 with 4.44 gears when launched like that. Of course after it shifts to 2nd the acceleration's over, but hey being snappy of the line catches people by surprise. 

Wire in a 4x4 lock switch and it will handle much better when sliding around in dirt or snow. Also makes it easier to hang out sideways. FWD mode is fun too if you want to waste some tires.

I've swapped a car to 5spd, but that was only after reverse failed in the auto. It's pretty straight forward. But I don't see much advantage to it.

Yeah, gotta say the autos seem stupidly dependable. 190k+ on my 95' and shifts like a car with an 1/8 of the mileage. I remember auto GM cars in the late 90's with 70-80k miles coming into a trans shop I did removals at with completely burnt trans fluid and needing complete overhauls.

Maybe try and find one with a MT and take it for a test drive to see if it's something you'd like. Or get a WRX, etc.