Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej swap ?

Ok so I gave the 85 rx turbo to a friend (who's yet to come get it ) also came up on a 9y legacy L sedan .. Auto trans tho :/.. I wanna do a MT swap into the Lego but was thinking I might as well just get the MT then throw the Ej into my 84 GL wagon, which is still my favorite of the 3 subarus I currently own . So since the RX is may not be getting picked up by my buddy .. What can I take off of the 85 RX and 96 Legacy L to do some cool custom mix of the three on my 84 GL wagon? And I'm sure it can't be done (easily or even without a whole lot of work I'm incapable of at least ) but, will any of the 3 manual transmissions I have bolt up to the ej22 in my legacy ?? The rx and the gl have 5 speeds .. Gl is FWD.. And I have a whole other tranny that came with the gl sitting in the garage collecting dust .. Not sure what it came from .. It is off an older subi tho I'm pretty sure ha

fuel pump from the RX will be needed for a swap.

i'd EJ swap the RX if i were me.  converting the 84 to AWD/4wd is more of a hurdle.  More fabrication. for carrier bearing, and would need to source a full rear suspension and diff.

none of the trans will bolt to the EJ without adapter or a case swap.

• Like 2

Could I put the GL body on the rx chassi??

Subarus are unibody. They are not separate.

I've spent a huge amount of time compiling a bunch of this information into a FAQ in the retrofitting section of this forum.

Short version is, yes, it's possible. With an adapter plate, a bunch of miscellaneous little parts, and a big helping of work, it's possible.

No, engine will not bolt up, but there are adapter plates for that purpose. Not terribly expensive or difficult.

Beyond that, there's probably 100 ways to build it. What are you looking to get out of it? An offroader? Autocrosser? What kind of money are you willing to spend on it? What labor are you willing/able to do?

• Like 1

Disc rear brakes are an easy as swap from RX to the EA81 body or you can send them to me :)

The RX you have also has a very cool independent knock control box parked just inside the passenger side near , below top dor hinge between glovebox and inner wall of car.

People have modified the EA82 std dizzy to work in an EA81 basically I believ by relocating drive cog mounting hole and using EA81 dist drive cog.

Add the knock sensor somewhere as I intend to try and you have knock control for your ea81 so can wind timing up as far as practical and let the circuitry look after retrding timing if necessary

I grew to love my boxy old GLTA. Bought it from a wrecker missing parts and panels, dead engine, bought a rolling wreck same day, same colours and made one god one, only as a temporary build to transfer all the good stuff to my Brumby. Loved the turbo sedan and its rear suspension, 2.5" exhaust nte, so much, kept it six or eight years and over 60.000 miles in her before forcing myself to tear it down in readiness for my conversion in Brumby, which I keep saying is about to happen :)

I also fitted the EA82 strut tops to my Brumby as they use a bearing and not a bush to spin on.

These required me to fit the supposedly superior to EA81 struts as well coz struts and strut tops not interchangeable alone.

To make strut bottom tubes fit the EA81 hubs all I had to do was emery off the paint and a tiny bit of metal 0.5mm

Much better in the front end in my opinion, in my case