Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4.44 rear diff and transmission... JDM Turbo Forester pretty much any year to '07 or USDM Forester XT up to 2008 IIRC for the trans. Diff fits also, but will be costly and there are cheaper options for the diff

Cheapest way to get this setup is, JDM 4.44 5spd that is not price gouged. Will cost less than $500. 4.44 rear diff from a wrecking yard Legacy Outback or Forester automatic which shouldn't cost over $100. You'll need to make the slave cylinder work since the turbo trans are all hydraulic but you should be able to. Cable conversion might be possible, I do not know

For FWD you will need to weld or use a center diff delete in the trans.

Might want to consider welding center diff in the current trans (if it's an AWD 5spd) and then just swapping to a 4.44 rear diff from any ole Automatic outback or Forester.  Then just run RWD  (use front CV stubs with axle removed in front hubs)

I can only run front wheel drive. Lol fun they said. So a 4.44 trans 5 speed will increase my rpm cause of more gear???

Might want to read up on how gears work and the terminology used, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. You will have more rpm at the same speed with a shorter (higher number) final drive. keep in mind the speeds and intended use, if you're near the top of a gear, you may have to shift to the next gear at the same speed which will be a 1 step forward, 2 steps back problem.