Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 dying

My son has a 1993 subaru loyale, i think the motor has seen better days, replaced head gaskets, took care of over heating but is still burning oil. Wondering if we should replace piston rings or try something else ie: engine swap? If so cheapest fix?

How bad were the overheating events?  I had one that experienced a pretty bad overheat - about a gallon short on coolant.  It burned oil like mad after I resealed it.  I just ran old oil and cheap oil through it for the rest of it's life.  Like a quart per tank of gas.  The only reason I stopped running it was one of the heads eventually cracked so the coolant would leak out the exhaust port.

Not looking for external leaks - Don't just check by looking at the level in the recovery tank.  Other possible cause of white smoke is only if it has an automatic transmission.  Vacuum modulator.  Look for ATF in the vacuum line down on the side where it connects to the modulator.

I agree white smoke is not normally burning oil.

If you're getting low compression, did you try doing a wet/dry test ?  I also recommend a vacuum test to check to confirm if the low compression problem is rings or valves.