Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good afternoon, I have a issue with the power steering which I believe is expelling all the air from the system. This all started as the pump needed to be changed as it began to fail, probably because of a bad o-ring on the intake spout.

Parts changed: Pump, o-ring and reservoir to pump pipe.

The issue is that while the car is in the air and the wheels are being turned, there is very little to no noise. As soon as I lower it on the ground and repeat the process, there is whining when i turn the wheels. I have been through the whole air bleeding process time after time and it still wont get any quieter than this. 

Observation: I did notice that as i turned the steering wheel left there was a 'juddering' in the wheels which can be felt through the steering wheel as well as observed. 

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

These pumps hardly ever fail. And if they do a rebuilt pump would be my last option.

Turning the wheel back and forth with wheels off the ground dos the load the rack and doesn't load the pump. You get some flow, but you don't get fluid flow through the pressure ports in the spool valve in the rack, because the spool valve doesn't open unless there is torsional force on the steering shaft.

Wheels on the ground, turn the steering wheel to all the way to full lock and back and hold fora second or so at lock several times. After turning the first time check fluid level and top off if necessary. Turn lock to lock about 15-20 times then shut the engine off and let any air bubbles in the reservoir float out. Noise should mostly go away after that.

• Like 1

Subaru racks hardly need bleeding or anything serious. Turn lock to lock a few times and they self bleed easily. Subaru power steering systems usually last the life of the vehicle and have very few issues except air intrusion through leaks and ocassional pump issues.

Check suction hoses and Orings and pump gasket/seal.

Look into the pump. Is it new - I wouldn’t be surprised at all for an aftermarket pump o have issues.

• Like 2

Where did you get the replacement pump?

Typically they dont need pumps. When you replace the factory pump with some aftermarket garbage this is the result. They can't be bled.

GD

Rockauto.com

I'm learning very quickly that Subarus need OEM replacements!

Edited by jonesyb84

I snagged a OEM pump with 80,000 miles on it, fitted, bled, and low and behold...it worked! Well mostly.

Im still getting a small amount of tiny bubbles that rise through the reservoir after turning the wheels lock to lock (engine on) and then switching off the engine. There are more if I go lock to lock than if i stop short. Im thinking there is perhaps a tiny leak created under pressure? Maybe through the banjo bolt and washer?

Also, I just want to confirm the torque spec for that banjo bolt.

Edited by jonesyb84

Update: I tried your suggestion Elite and the covers were all loose already. the bubbles no longer appear (one would suggest it did the fine tuning itself). But there is still a slight noise with turning the wheel and a loud screech when i hit lock. Really m wondering if iv just lost touch with reality and how its suppose to sound. ha.

FWIW, the power steering effort can get more difficult over time due to OLD DEXIII or whatever the car came with. Mine had that issue, and after changing to fresh current equivalent, power steering effort got lighter and smoother. So although these pumps might be "never need touched" the fluid most definitely does.

• Like 1