Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no. 

it's really easy - just compress the tensioner with a c clamp and piece of wood or something else convenient.  insert pin or thin allen wrench and you're done. 

it can be done, but I don't recommend it.  get as much slack as possible in that region as possible, keep it there (don't allow it to be taken back up) and then turn the cam within/against the belt tension. it's possible but it's not easy and it's kind of silly considering how easy it is to compress the tensioner and do it again - verses risking it with an interference engine. 

wild mechanic method is to pry the timing tensioner back in place with a crow bar to gain some slack to remove the belt and install, or in your case adjust.  but i don't recommend doing that to your tensioner particularly on an interference engine. 

• Like 2

Thanks Idosubaru!

I ended up taking off the belt and decompressing the tensioner. Put it all back together, pulled the pin, all marks looked good.

However, after turning the crank 2-3 times, the 2 marks on the bottom cam drivers side is off by about 2 teeth.

Next time I take the belt off should I rotate the bottom cam 180 degrees? Would that make a difference?

Do you mean the actual cam marks?

They need to line up. You shouldn’t need to do anything different or special. Line it all up, install and pull pin.

I sometimes install without the lower pulley on the passengers side. Then once the belt is on install that pulley, just push up on the belt while installing it and the bolt.

The timing belt marks don’t matter, they only line up every so many hundred revolutions after you install it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm fixin to do a timing belt on my 95 legacy 2.2. I was planning to buy the kits they sell with the belt, tensioner, pulleys, and water pump.

I thought I read here that it was better to buy a genuine Subaru timing belt. Is this the case or will I be all right buying the "premium" aftermarket replacement kit?

Also, I've been running naked for awhile, and there are no discernible paint or hashmarks on the camshaft pulleys that I can see to properly align them. Do I just need to look closer?

Stick to an Aisin kit or buy the individual parts from a known good Japanese vendor (NTK, Koyo NSF).  Mitsuboshi Timing Belt.

The crap made by other providers often have Chinese made bearings and they have been reported to fail earlier.

Hash marks will be evident once you remove the timing belt cover and use a good light.  The image below is from a SOHC 2.2L.  The DOHC has different marks so verify if you have the EJ22 or EJ25

22D4921.gif

These are from the EJ25 DOHC

Intake_Cam_TB_Alignment_DOHC.jpg

Edited by Mike104

Thanks Mike 104, I downloaded the FSM. I have an EJ22e.   

I learned about "running naked" on this site. The timing belt cover has been removed for some time, so the pulley rims are kinda crusty. I'll likely pressure wash the area real good and try to find my best bright light to help my tired eyes locate the hash marks. I ordered a Dayco assembly kit from rockauto $140. 

I'll be back when I get up the gumption to tackle the job. Thanks for your help.

12 hours ago, 86BRATMAN said:

All of the dohc engines are valve to valve interference. This one in particular just isn't piston to valve interference. 

The current question and original poster are different, the current engine being talked about is non-interference:

On 11/7/2018 at 6:17 PM, bmaness said:

I'm fixin to do a timing belt on my 95 legacy 2.2.

well, I can't say it's UNIVERSAL, but those cam arrows may very well all be pointing -uh - North-East , when aligned.

keep looking for the marks - should be ' similar' to mike's image posted above or try a google image search, however, EJ22 may be some older marking scheme ???

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

A member suggested an Aisin kit and, having never heard of Aisin, I bought Rockauto Dayco Kit No. WP172K3AS "premium replacement" kit instead.

This purchase came short an idler pulley (the red one at bottom left), hence my question above. So, in the interest of getting my car back on the road, I'll just use the old perfectly-serviceable red idler and put it on last before pulling the tensioner pin? 

My original question to the forum was, is it better to get a genuine Subaru timing belt or does it matter? The Dayco belt that came with the above kit was appropriately marked at the crankshaft, 44 and 40.5 teeth marks.

The Dayco kit came with 2 oil seals ( in a separate sealed packet) that I could not identify where they would go so I did not mess with them. They were different sizes and came with a small tube of lube. Presumably behind the camshaft pulleys?  Me no know. I'm not fixing what isn't leaking.